on Jan 7, 2008 at 7:31:45 am

Greetings,
I have recently purchased the XL-H1. Influenced by Todd Terry

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Battery for XL-H1
on Jan 7, 2008 at 3:47:57 pm

Hi Doug...

I can describe the setup that we use. It might not be the best for everyone, but it works well for us...

[Doug Milton] "Todd has referred to ?the brick?, but I?m not sure which battery that is."

I was just using the generic term "brick" to refer to any of the large Anton-Bauer batteries... such as the ProPac14, Hytron 140, etc.

If you want to go that route...the first thing you will need is the A-B "goldmount" adapter...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488776-REG/Anton_Bauer_QRXLH_QR_XLH_G...

...which screws right to the back of your camera. It is made specifically for your camera, there are already little holes in the camera body that it mates with.

If you need an inexpensive and reliable charger, I recommend the TITAN 70....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/227829-REG/Anton_Bauer_TANDEM70_TITAN...

...as it is very small and lightweight, and you can even snap it into the goldmount to to power the camera directly by AC without using the funky little Canon power adapter.

As for how long these batteries last, that is going to depend on what all you use it to juice, of course. I can't really say how long they last in our particular setup, because we have never really exhausted a battery on a single shoot.

We have powered up to four things simultaniously with our setup... the camera, a P+S Technik lens converter, an external on-board monitor, and a teleprompter. A single battery probably wouldn't juice all of these things for a long long time, but it always had enough power for as long as we needed. We typically only use the camera and lens converter for all-day use. The lens converter really uses very little power, and the TTF screens on the external monitor and prompter aren't very power hungry either. We do sometimes have radio mic receivers on the camera, but we just use the little 9v batteries that the Lectrosonics normally take rather than wire them in... in the case of those, for us it is just a lot easier to use the native batteries rather than wire them in and made adjustments so that they get the proper voltage.

[Doug Milton] "Also, does the battery have multiple power taps"

The power tap will be on the goldmount, not on the battery itself. There is one two-pin power tap connection on the mount. If you wish to use it to power an external device, you can use a cable like this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/515029-REG/Marshall_V_PAC_DXLR_V_PAC_...

...and use the power tap to connect to any device that takes 14.4v DC with a standard 4-pin XLR power connector.

If you need multiple power sources, you can use one of these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/204182-REG/Anton_Bauer_PTM_PowerTap_M...

...which will turn your single power tap into four taps.

Or you can just buy an "open end" pigtail like this....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/69226-REG/Anton_Bauer_PTOE_PowerTap_O...

....and wire it directly to whatever you want. If you do that, make SURE you have the positive and negative sides wired correctly. If you need more assistance determining which is which I can help you when the time comes.

Keep in mind that the goldmount is putting out 7.2v to the camera, but putting out 14.4v to the power tap. Anything powered off the tap needs that voltage, or you will have to wire in appropriate circuitry to cut the voltage. In our partcular case the lens converter uses 7.2v just like the camera, so we hacked into the wiring in the goldmount to take advantage of the voltage-reducing circuitry that is built into the mount.

In any case, you say that you are going to be doing LONG periods of REMOTE shooting, so make sure you take plenty of batteries. One battery might power everything for as long as you need, but don't put your eggs all into one basket and depend on that one battery without having a couple of spares with you.

Hope this helps....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Doug Milton
on Jan 7, 2008 at 5:29:15 pm

Todd,

EXTREMELY helpful, thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jan 7, 2008 at 9:51:16 pm

My pleasure, Doug... every now and then someone actually asks a question which I can answer.

I did neglect to mention one thing though, which is the only real downside to using Anton-Bauer or other off-board batteries (aside from the added weight, which I actually like... I like a beefy camera)...

That one thing is that when you take off the little proprietary Canon camera battery and go with outside power, you DO LOSE the little battery-level "fuel gage" in the viewfinder. You'll be a little bit flying blind with respect to how much juice you have left, but the bricks last sooo long that it's usually not an issue. Just don't get complacent ("Well, this batt had plenty of juice yesterday, it's probably fine for today") or you could regret it in a hurry.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]