FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL2 24p?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AnthemWake
XL2 24p?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:09:34 pm

I did a search for this, and couldn't really find what I was looking for...Does the XL2 have 24p setting similar to the DVX-100? I've heard that the A1 doesn't have true 24p; it's Canon's version of the technology. Because of this, 24p footage has to be captured using the camera itself (not a deck or another camera).

I guess my question is: can I capture 24p footage shot on an XL2 with another camera? Is the information I have about the A1 accurate?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XL2 24p?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:25:10 pm

[AnthemWake] "I did a search for this, and couldn't really find what I was looking for...Does the XL2 have 24p setting similar to the DVX-100?"

Yes it does.

[AnthemWake] "I've heard that the A1 doesn't have true 24p; it's Canon's version of the technology."

It's called 24F. it's essentially the same result as 24p, it's just that the A1 goes about achieving that result differently. I won't go into detail about that but the drawback is that you can't use conventional decks or cameras to capture with other than another Canon HDV camera. Since it's never a good idea to use your acquisition camera to capture with (wears out the tape transport prematurely) most people are buying a Canon HV10 or 20 for that purpose. They're under a grand and will transfer any of the Canon recording formats.

On the other hand, the XL2 has true progressive CCD's and you can use ANY MiniDV camcorder to capture 24p with because the 24p flags are imbedded in the DV stream. Then once in your editor the program will interpret those flags and provide the proper puldown removal.

More about that here:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/24p_in_FCP_nattress.html

When reading the article just insert the words "XL2" where it says "DVX100". The workflow is exactly the same.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]