FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone Question

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Vogel
Microphone Question
on Jan 3, 2008 at 9:25:48 pm

Hi All,

I have a Canon XL-H1 and I need a microphone to connect to my XLR input. I videotape performances and I want a microphone I can locate near the stage to pick up the voices. When I use the microphone with the camera I pick up noise from the audience. Do you have any suggestions? I am looking for a medium priced microphone, thanks!

Dennis

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Microphone Question
on Jan 6, 2008 at 2:34:36 am

I would take a look at Sennheiser's line of directional mics, I can't recommend a particular model but any of their lower-priced shotguns should fit the bill nicely.

Personally we use one of the "mid-range" (and mid-priced) Sennheisers, the MKH416. That would serve you great, although it might be more than you want to spend depending on what your definition of "medium priced" is (it's about a grand). One good thing about your particular camera is that many mid- and higher-end mics require phantom power, and your XL-H1 does indeed put out the 48v phantom that is needed.

If the MKH416 is overkill, I don't think you would be unhappy with anything a bit further down the price chain in the Sennheiser line... they make great stuff.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Vogel
on Jan 7, 2008 at 9:02:36 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the information. I looked at the MKH416 and it just might be overkill (for me). When on the Sennheiser website I (in the new and film section) I only see the only microphone that would be below the MKH416 is the ME66 or ME67.

Also I looked at you website and it is very impressive.

Thanks,

Dennis

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jan 7, 2008 at 9:14:31 pm

Hi Dennis... thanks for the kind words...

The ME66 is a good solid mic, and would probably serve you well. Two things going for it are the fact that it is 1) about half the price of the MKH416, and 2) you CAN power it off an internal battery, so that if you ever find yourself wanting to use it with another camera that does not output 48v phantom you can still use it just fine.

If that is still overkill you might look at the line of Audio-Technica mics....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop...

...which generally on average are quite a bit less expensive than the Sennheisers, but they are still solid mics. I don't like them quite has well as the Sennheisers, but they still do a pretty nice job... we have one or two older-model A-T shotguns that we sometimes use with cameras that don't output phantom, and they work quite well.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]