FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems capturing from ZR800

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daisy Frederick
problems capturing from ZR800
on Jan 1, 2008 at 3:57:15 pm

I have a Mac PowerBook G4, with both firewire 400 and 800 ports. I am using Final Cut Express, version 2.0.2. Currently, my computer can capture video if the camera (Canon ZR800) is connected directly to the computer. However, I would like to capture all video on my external hard drive, LaCie d2 Quadra. I have changed the settings in FCE to capture to the LaCie. Easy setup is on "DV-NSTC"

Problem: when I attempt to open FCE with the Canon daisy-chained through the LaCie (400) and turned on and set to play mode, FCE will not open. I-movie will also not open, with similar configuration. When I turn the camera off, immediately both programs are able to open. I have also attempted to connect the LaCie into the 800 port and the Canon into the 400 port on the computer, with the same results. (Canon is on wide-screen setting, if that makes a difference).

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Daisy

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: problems capturing from ZR800
on Jan 2, 2008 at 5:18:20 pm

[Daisy Frederick] " I have also attempted to connect the LaCie into the 800 port and the Canon into the 400 port on the computer,"

That's because both the 400 and 800 port share the same BUS. In order for you to capture to the hard drive you would need to have a separate firewire connection. Some cameras (like your Canon) exert more firewire control over your system than others.

The fix for you right now is to capture to your startup drive and once that's done copy the video files to your external drive before you do ANY editing. To git rid of the problem entirely check out what's available for your PowerBook G4 in the way of a separate FW connection. I know on my Macbook Pro there's a firewire card I can get that plugs into the Express 34 slot, but you'll have to check on what's available for you. If you have a CardBus slot on your PowerBook you may be able to find something for that.

- Don

Return to posts index

Daisy Frederick
Re: problems capturing from ZR800
on Jan 3, 2008 at 1:58:49 am

Thanks Don. A friend had made a similar suggestion. I will do some research and most likely purchase a separate card.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]