FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with new XL H1 Video Camera..!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Hdvideo
Help with new XL H1 Video Camera..!
on Nov 20, 2007 at 8:30:27 pm

Greetings everyone from a 1st time user on this board. We have just purchased our first HD Video Canon this last Saturday and looking for input on the following thoughts.
1. Are canon batteries sufficient or is any other type of after market batteries better?

2. What type of accessories would be suggested?

3. What type of editing software for someone whom has never used a Video Camera like this type before?

Any ideas, suggestions or general input about this camera is highly appreciated.

Thanks , Jerry in NW ohio

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Help with new XL H1 Video Camera..!
on Nov 20, 2007 at 11:29:27 pm

Hello Jerry...

Greetings, and congratulations... both on joining our little party here and on being a proud (I assume) new XLH1 owner.

We have been XLH1 users since they first came out, and after about a zillion miles on ours we are still very pleased with it. I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

As to your questions...

[Jerry Hdvideo] "1. Are canon batteries sufficient..."

It depends a bit on what you want to do. The little stock Canon batteries are ok, but not super great. You can buy a more powerful version of the battery that will power the camera a bit longer. OR... you can step things up a bit and use a more "professional" (as opposed to "prosumer") battery system... I have been very happy with the goldmount adapter from Anton-Bauer...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488776-REG/Anton_Bauer_QRXLH_QR_XLH_G...

That listing doesn't really do a good job of showing where it goes and such, but here's a picture that shows the battery adapter attached to the back our our XLH1...

With that, we can use "industry standard" Anton-Bauer batteries which will power the camera darn near forever (and we already had these batteries since we power most everything with them). You can use anything from full-size "bricks" like the one in the picture, down to the smaller AB "pancake" batteries. Yes, they add weight... but I like that... and makes the camera feel more balanced to me.

Nextly....

[Jerry Hdvideo] "2. What type of accessories would be suggested?"

Well, that really depends on how you plan on using the camera and what you are going to be doing with it. The sky is really the limit. Accessories could be anything from a $2 lens cap keeper to a $15,000 lens converter... and everything in between. If you can tell us a little more about what kind of projects you are going to be doing we might be able to narrow down suggestions a bit. Some of those suggestions might include additional lenses, a matte box, a follow focus unit, rod support systems... it really just depends on what you need to try to get out of your system.

[Jerry Hdvideo] "3. What type of editing software"

Well, now there's a can of worms. Count up the number of different editing systems that exist, and that's the number of different suggestions you will get, as everyone has their favorites. The Mac gang will of course tout Final Cut Pro... as for me, we are a PC house and use Premiere Pro... plus there's Avid, Vegas, and others. That's probably a question that bears more investigating than can be done in a single post here. You might browse some of the other forums (Art of the Edit, AJA, Final Cut, Avid, Matrox, etc.), make some contacts, and get some opinions there. People are often militant about their editing system preferences (we are... we love Premiere and abandoned Canopus systems...which we loved...simply because they don't play well with Premiere anymore) and you will get some strong opinions. They are not always right... just right for the particular user who loves them.

Welcome!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hdvideo
on Nov 21, 2007 at 1:27:14 am

Hi Todd, I want to thank you for the warm welcome I have received from you. Many thanks for all the great help you have provided me. I am very sorry for being so vague but I am really not sure where to start as this is all totally new to me. I am just a Grandpa that bought him a new play toy and had to have a excuse to buy this unit. Told my wife this would be good to use on my young grandson. I have just seen your picture of yours that is posted, wow that is incredible with all the extras. I am very interested in that battery system and also a upgrade front hood. I had seen this one at B&H and was currious if this would work good on the XLH1?

Chrosziel 440-03http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/430706-REG/Chrosziel_44003XLH1K2_440_...

I am looking at adding this to my unit and currious what your take is on it? I also seen it comes in a kit form and not sure what all the difference is? Is this what you have also on the front of your camera?

Thanks, Jerry

Return to posts index

on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:02:09 am

Hi Jerry...

Adopt me. Please.

All I can say is WOW!... the XLH1 is quite a "toy" for Gramps' home movies. Your wife is either very wonderful, understanding...or gullable. Maybe a little of all three :)

Most people would probably be inclined to tell you that the XLH1 is waaaay overkill for the home-movie crowd... it's a great camera, but definitely much bigger and heavier (and needless to say, much more expensive) than most of that group would care to wag around. But hey, enjoy it, man... it will certainly give you great service.

I could probably list 20-grand worth of accessories you could put on the thing... but to be perfectly and painfully honest if you are really just wanting to take home footage of the grandtyke (even really great home footage) you don't really need any of it. That camera is going to give you great performance right out of the box, totally stock.

That Chrosziel matte box is a quite a good one... they make great stuff. But then again, it's probably way overkill unless you plan to do a lot of experimentation and filtration, it's really a completely professional tool. And, it's $1300+. If you really think you need a matte box, there are several vendors that cater to the "indie" crowd that have products as low as in the $200 range. And that's IF you really need a matte box... if you are just worried about lens flares, the stock sunshade that comes on your lens does quite a decent job.

That is similar to what you saw on the front of my camera, but not exactly. Those boxes (both that particular Chrosziel model, and the cheaper ones I mentioned) are known as "clamp on" matte boxes because they are very lightweight and attach directly right to the front of your lens with the appropriate rings. The one on my camera is a bit of a heavier box, and it is not attached to or supported by the camera lens... rather it is held up by a 15mm/60mm support rods system. I'd say for sure you don't need anything that complex.

Happy shooting!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hdvideo
on Nov 21, 2007 at 2:02:41 pm

Hi Todd, Thanks alot again for the input. I think i will just try and get a grasp of the camera 1st before I start adding on any other options. As you say none of its really to serve any purpose I may have. I am tho really considering one of the battery options and also that clamp on front box. (Its kewl looking) :)

I do have the entire Series of Canon EF L Class Lenses and i read somewhere that those can be used on this videio camera with some type of attaching ring?

Thanks alot, Jerry in NW ohio

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 21, 2007 at 8:26:46 pm

[Jerry Hdvideo] " do have the entire Series of Canon EF L Class Lenses and i read somewhere that those can be used on this videio camera with some type of attaching ring?
"

Canon makes the EF adapter, which is what you're inquiring about. It allows the use of EF lenses on all Canon XL series camcorders. You can see it on this page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=1...

- Don

Return to posts index

Jerry Hdvideo
Sennheiser Microphone on XLH1..?
on Nov 26, 2007 at 9:35:31 pm

Hi Todd, I was looking to update the stock microphone that comes with the XLH1 and was currious to what you think of the Sennheiser Shotgun Microphone and Mount System? Is it compatible with the H1 and if so, is there a big difference in quality vrs the Stock unit that comes with the camera? It looks quite impressive but?

Thanks, Jerry

Return to posts index

Re: Sennheiser Microphone on XLH1..?
on Nov 26, 2007 at 10:55:34 pm

Hi Jerry...

Im not sure which exact mic setup you are referring to, but to bastardize someone else's marketing campaign, "With a name like Sennheiser, it has to be good." Sennheiser makes great mics and accessories.

I'm sure whichever one you are looking at is probably superior to the stock mic (its degree of superiority dependant on which mic you are talking about, and how unhappy you are with the stock mic)... and will no doubt work with your H1. We use the Sennheiser MKH416 all the time. Another great thing about the H1... many higher-end mics (such as the MKH416) require 48v phantom power to work. Most products in the "small camera" line do not output phantom, but the XLH1 does (you'll find the little switches to turn on the phantom power on the rear of the camera, just beneath the LINE/MIC switches).

I'm guessing that there is some kind of on-camera shock mount that you are looking at. Again, I don't know it specifically, but if it is a Sennheiser accesory I'm sure that it is well made. Just keep in mind that almost always attaching a mic directly to the camera is often the worst place to put a mic for good sound recording. Also, you are probably swapping the stock stero mic for a mono one, if that makes any difference to you. For just "home movie" style shooting, the stock stero mic is probably more than sufficient.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Nov 27, 2007 at 11:15:22 pm

I use an XLH1 and swear by it but I don't think it is a good choice for home movies. The A1 is a third of the price, has a wider lens, is more robust, and has better ergonomics unless you are using the cam shouldermounted.

Todd is right about senn - they make quality products except the sennheiser MKE300 - that is a step down from the stock mic. I don't think it's even made by sennheiser.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hdvideo
on Nov 28, 2007 at 6:58:48 pm

Hi there, Thanks so much for your input on the microphone. I guess I am just having a accessories fetish for this XLH1. As far as other cameras that may have been better for home videos, well its a bit to late as I already have the XLH1 and hopefully i will beable to figure it out. Again I want ot say thanks to you and the others wiht your insight and help with me.

I also purchased the Bogen 526 Fluid Head and a Bogen Carbon Fiber Video Tripod (The Bogen 542ART Road Runner)These look to serve the purpose for what I am going to do wiht this camera.

Thanks, Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]