FORUMS: list search recent posts

HV20 as a playback deck

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrianT
HV20 as a playback deck
on Nov 7, 2007 at 12:57:44 am

We have a Canon XL H1 and need a playback deck. Is the Canon HV20 the best option on the market? I know the Sony decks don't play the 24f mode. ANyone with experience? We plan to purchase a AJA card and hope to ingest the footage from the HV20 via the HDMI port into the AJA card. Do I have my workflow correct?

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: HV20 as a playback deck
on Nov 7, 2007 at 1:47:21 am

Yes, you are correct.

IF you shoot with the Canon in 24f mode AND in HDV mode, then you must use a Canon camera for playback for capturing.

With other combinations (such as 24f in standard def mode, or 60i in HDV mode) then some other decks will work fine... but not 24f HDV.

Yup, you can use the HV20 as a source "deck" and capture video via HDMI, as long as you are using a capture card that will take HDMI in.

Or, you can use your XLH1 as your source deck, and injest video via the camera's HD-SDI output (which is what I do). We also have an HV20 but have never used it as a source deck... although a lot of people do.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Annette L. Ellard
on Nov 10, 2007 at 6:30:08 pm

I'm shooting 1080i60 with my Canon XL H1 for another editor who is using Premiere and doesn't have any deck to capture from miniDV. Am I understanding correctly that he can use ANY HDV camcorder to log and capture my footage as long as the HDV is recorded 1080i60?

Peace,
Annette
epiphanies
good news brought to light

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Nov 14, 2007 at 2:32:52 am

Any HDV camcorder or deck that records and plays HDV 1080i60 will most likely play back HDV 1080i60 footage shot with a Canon camcorder. In my tests with the Sony FX1 and Z1U it worked fine. I have not tried this with every other model of HDV 1080i60 camcorder/ deck out there.

- Don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Martin Vincent
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:29:54 pm

You wont gain any quality if you aquire via HDMI if your footage come from tape;its already compressed. HDMI is only usefull when used to pick image directly from sensor (record to HD while the camcorder is hooked up).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]