FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious dropout problems with new XH AI's

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
3rdDegree
Serious dropout problems with new XH AI's
on Nov 5, 2007 at 12:22:38 am

I have two new XH A1 cameras.

My current problem is dropouts. At first, I though it was Edius capture, but it actually is the camera when it's recording. And I am getting LOTS of them. Sometime 3 to 5 per tape!

Both cameras are brand new. Have never had anything other than Panasonic tapes in them and have about 20 hours recording time each. I currently use Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ and AY-DVM83MQ tapes. I have never re-used a tape.

When I play back the tape at the dropout time, it freezes for a second and then carriers on. What could I be doing wrong? It's hardly a case of two faulty cameras? Should I try even higher grade tape? Or should I bring these cameras back to the store for the worthless piles of crap I'm starting to suspect they are? (Sorry, that was probably uncalled for, but I have been having some grief with these).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Serious dropout problems with new XH AI's
on Nov 5, 2007 at 6:49:08 am

Hi Martin,

Welcome to Creative COW. Rest assured that if there was something inherently wrong in the design of the A1 this forum would be swamped with posts similar to yours. Since this isn't the case I would suggest that there is either something wrong with your particular cameras or there's something happening when you're capturing to your NLE. It's not unheard of to have the same problem present in two cameras with serial numbers that are close together. I'm not saying this is the case, but if you've played back your problem tapes in the A1's and you're seeing the dropouts in your camera's viewscreens as well as in the captured footage in your NLE then I would return them to your broadcast supplier post haste and find out from them what their recommendations are. Since the cameras are so new they may just give you two new ones instead of sending your present ones in for repair.

Also ask your supplier what tape stock THEY recommend.

Keep in mind that when you get a tape dropout with HDV it's going to last at least a half second because of the nature of the long GOP MPEG2 recording format. Also, try and avoid using the thinner 83 min. tapes because they're much more prone to dropouts than the thicker 63's. Once your cameras have some miles on them they may be a little friendlier to the 83's. I know this was the case with my XL2 when it was new, and I use the exact same Panny tapes that you're using.

- Don

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Nov 14, 2007 at 2:27:05 am

Try using a higher grade of tape when recording HDV.

- Don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Nov 15, 2007 at 12:50:30 am

< Donald Berube: Try using a higher grade of tape when recording HDV. >

What'd be a higher grade tape Donald?

Don, where are you getting al those info, shouldn't we all know about it? I was using 83 min
master Panasonic, until they were discontinued, I wonder why, thinking I'm doing good
thing, 83 minutes, master quality, less handling of the transport tape system (ejecting 63 min tape is more often than 83 min).
I remember your info about GL2 and XL1s having same tape transport system.
Friend of mine (XLs1) was told specificaly not to use 83 min tapes after his transport system gone south.
I was told nothing (on my 2 GL2 cameras recently getting serviced for the same thing).

Thanks

Mio

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 15, 2007 at 5:43:35 am

The fact that your friend was told not to use the 83's after his repair probably had nothing to do with each other. He probably asked and was given a proper answer. 83 min. tapes are thinner than the 63's and are more prone to recording glitches. As a user I've made a choice to use 83's when I have a continous shoot that lasts more than an hour. Anyone with experience using both will tell you to stay with the 63's because of the reliablilty factor.

Since the Panasonic Master series 83's have been discontinued I have switched to the Panny Professional series which still come in the 83 min. variety, but still use the 63 Master Series when I don't need that extra 20min.

- Don

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Nov 17, 2007 at 12:41:40 am

Yes, I'm doing the same, but it's my trusty Firestore that gives me the confidence
of finding the complete footage later.

In fact that new 63min Master is for HDV as well?

Thanks Don.

Mio

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 19, 2007 at 5:18:41 am

[Miodrag Ristic] "In fact that new 63min Master is for HDV as well?"

Not the Panasonic tapes. But the high end Sony tapes are HDV/DV. They aren't cheap, either. My local supplier said that the HDV/DV tapes from Fujifilm are the same as the Sony tapes but are exactly half the price. I bought a box of the Fuji tapes but haven't tried them yet.

- Don

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Nov 19, 2007 at 10:48:28 pm

My supplier only offers Sony, not Fuji, I'll have to do a search (we Down Under don't have as many options).

Mio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]