FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH-A1/FCP settings for editing 24f, 16:9, HD downconversion

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JessicaCC
XH-A1/FCP settings for editing 24f, 16:9, HD downconversion
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:21:27 pm

Hi,
I'm preparing to use my XH-A1 for the first time, and am testing out the best workflow using a MacBook Pro and FCP 5.1.4 (I can also use Avid 5.7.3 on a Mac or PC if anyone thinks this is better -- so far all advice points to FCP).

I would like to shoot in HD 24f 16:9 and downconvert to SD for editing. However, every time I try to set up an FCP project & sequence with the right settings, I either get footage that is unrendered, in 4:3 and/or looks jumpy. There are so many variables, that my testing is getting confusing. I know there have been posts on all of these requests separately, but I'm still at a loss for the right combination of HD, 24f, 16:9 and SD downconversion.

It would be a massive help to know your workable set of audio/video settings for:

Sequence
Capture
Device Control (I assume Firewire NTSC)
Video Playback (I assume Apple Firewire NTSC (720x480))
(And any other project settings I'm forgetting)

Also, in the camera, I have set the HD Down-Convert to ON; do I need to change anything with the Comp. OUt (1080i/480i), AV->DV, or Playback STD?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Return to posts index

Jeffrey B.
Re: XH-A1/FCP settings for editing 24f, 16:9, HD downconversion
on Oct 12, 2007 at 9:19:27 pm

The camera downconverts to 60i. Use the Easy Setup for DV Anamorphic.

Return to posts index

Steve Berg
Re: XH-A1/FCP settings for editing 24f, 16:9, HD downconversion
on Jan 23, 2009 at 9:40:43 pm

Jessica,

I know this is a old post but I’m trying to find info about the XH-A1 and the 24F VS 24P into final cut. I'm trying to break into the Event Video Biz and think this is the right camera to get started with and wanted to see if you were able to load in the 24F Canon into FCP. I use FCE right now and from what I understand is not compatible. I will upgrade to pro if I need to, but just wanted to get your feelings on this camera.

Any insight would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]