FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon GL2 "Eject Tape" error

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
boakadu
Canon GL2 "Eject Tape" error
on Oct 7, 2007 at 8:10:45 pm

I have owned a gl2 for approx 2 years now. I record weddings with it. Just the past couple of weeks when i insert a mini dv there will be a message on the screen saying "eject Tape" and start beeping. I've put a head cleaner thru it, but it doesn't help.

Please help me
thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon GL2 "Eject Tape" error
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:36:00 am

Take it in for service. The same thing happened to my GL2 a few months ago and Canon ended up replacing parts in the tape transport after over 4 years of use. Keep in mind that if you used a head cleaning cassette on a regular basis instead of taking the camera in for cleaning at regular intervals, Canon Repair may also tell you the heads need replacing now as well. Head cleaning cassettes act like sandpapaer and will wear out your heads prematurely if you don't use them sparingly.

- Don

Return to posts index

Boakadu
on Oct 9, 2007 at 10:37:46 am

I've read some other posts saying to put some rubbing alcohol on a white gear and that usually does the trick. Or manually turn the tape for a few seconds and it works. What do you feel about this???

I've heard horror stories sending in equipment to Canon and getting it back with the same error.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 9, 2007 at 7:36:03 pm

I try to keep my hands out of the tape transport area as much as possible. I've never heard of the home remedies you've mentioned. I'm a cameraperson/editor, not a mechanic. If you don't trust Canon to repair your GL2 then take it to an authorized repair facility in your area. Personally I've had good luck with sending things to Canon and having a proper repair done right the first time. Not too happy about the length of time it takes, though. At least not in my part of the world.

- Don

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:59:13 am

Boakadu,

Don is right, take it to a service, 2 years is about right time for their tape transport system
to get serviced.
If you were lucky, you might get away just with cleaning (by a professional of course),
if it's worse, then you'll have to have it replaced.
This issue was discussed not that long ago, see this post completely:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/59/856464

Mick

Return to posts index

Darrell Kelly
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:06:17 am

There have been many complaints about the transport system in the XM2 camcorders. I've had my camcorder in for service at Cannon 4 times now within the last 7 years. With problems ranging from playback to firewire (ieee 1394)connection problems to recording issues. All repairs lasted no longer than 6 months.

Recently (after reading this and other post), I did try using a contact cleaner on a q-tip, applied it to the white gear with the black gear release on top and now the camcorder is working just fine.

Return to posts index

Vicki Jacobs
on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:01:50 pm

Hey there,
I am the owner of a GL2, and had to send the camera to Canon once already to replace the part where you load the mini DV ...their minimum is 400.00....the camera isnt yet three years old and its doing the same thing now..the "error" eject"...who has an xtra 400.00 probably now 500.00 anyone aware of a place to repair or who wants to go to bat for me!!! damn Canon obviously has a sudstandard loading mechanism.......help me if you can! thanks

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:42:34 pm

Hey Vicki,
"Eject Tape" doesn't mean that tape transposrt mechanism has south gone again, it might just need head cleaning.
I usually try first the head cleaning tape (read manual or instructions on cleaning tape itself), if doesn't get fixed from one 10 sec go, then I try another one.
If that doesn't work I send it to service (not Canon, just a camcorder service) for head cleaning ($70)
and that fixes it.

About Canon's job on these GL2 tape mechanisms, you are absolutely right... substandard.

Finally, if you were using PAL, I'd offer you my 2 GL2 (it's XM2 here in Australia) they've been sitting here last 12 months as I'm now mostly using my new Panasonic HPX170 (with cards, so no tape transp. mech. here any more :)

Return to posts index

Vicki Jacobs
on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:51:17 pm

Thanks Miodrag...
I hope that is your name......I was filming a non for profit Documentary after a child of mine was killed. The 5 weeks later husband died....most recently other daughter has had brain surgery...I could go on, but I will spare you from anymore......I need to finish this film but am not in a financial position any longer to do much......are your GL2's working? When and if I can afford to purchase another camera I will, but for now may need to get some students in film school to help! Thanks for writing.....
P.S.( you can toss the cameras to Nashviile, TN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Be well....VJ

Return to posts index

Sherman Bahr
on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:23:00 am

Yes, it defiantly sounds like you are have a problem with your tape mechanism. The one thing that i would say is it's NOT a dirty head problem, so don't keep trying to fix it with a head cleaner tape. This is a common misconception. When there is a problem with the camcorder the first thing that people will think of is to stick a head cleaner tape in it. If you were having a "Dirty Head" problem the symptoms that you would be having would be picture problems on playback. It sounds like you will be needing to send it in for repair.

Check out this video...

Sony And Canon Prosumer Mini DV Camcorder Repair Free Estimates. http://www.VideoOneRepair.com

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Oct 13, 2007 at 2:54:06 pm

I tried alcohol on the gear - worked very well.

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:10:54 pm

I'm sad to here all that that's happened to you, but as I already mentioned, these cameras are PAL (as opposite to those you use in USA where is NTSC system) and can't be used in USA.
Footage from those cameras would not be able to play on your TV or used with your footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]