FORUMS: list search recent posts

need new video camera

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisaj
need new video camera
on Sep 29, 2007 at 3:31:42 am

I dropped my Sony TRV 900 this morning and really damaged it. I don't know if it is worth fixing. Already my head is swimming with all the new cameras out there. I edit on a MacPro with Final Cut Pro. Should I stick with a miniDV camera or go with the new hard drive cameras? Is the footage captured on the hard drives editable without any problems? I am getting varied opinions at camera stores. I am willing to spend up to about $2000. I would like my camera to last me for a good while. Is miniDV really on the way out?
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Lisa

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: need new video camera
on Sep 30, 2007 at 6:21:16 pm

Can't answer all; however, things to consider: optics are as important if not more so than format. 3 chips are better than 1. Do you want to shoot in 16x9 or 4x3 aspect ratio? Most of the hard drive cams I've looked at record in either mpeg 2 or some other format other than DV. If a particular cam looks good to you, find out the format and see if it is supported. Companies are selling hard drive add ons that do record in DV.

If you are happy with 4x3, I would move up to a pd170 which can be had for about $2600 at bhphoto. It is not HD but takes a fine image and is very rugged and is the low light champ. It also has xlr inputs which will save you from buying a converter and will let you invest in pro mics and cords that will be future proof. It also comes with a wide angle lens which is worth another $200.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]