FORUMS: list search recent posts

What about FRAME mode

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cinquina
What about FRAME mode
on Sep 10, 2007 at 3:29:03 pm

I have used my GL2 for 3 to 4 years now and shot almost exclusively in Frame mode. I love the fact that I can take any of 30 frames within a sec and have a clear rendering of action. I recently bought a Canon XH-A1 HDV and noticed there is no Frame mode. Is there a setting on the XH-A1 that will render the same result?

Thanks.

Joe

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
mattdawgpro
Re: What about FRAME mode
on Sep 10, 2007 at 5:45:05 pm

Yes, 30F and 24F are both frame mode. 24F is just at 24fps. 30F is exactly the same as frame mode on your GL-2.

Return to posts index

Joe Cinquina
on Sep 10, 2007 at 6:07:42 pm

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

What is the difference between Frame- mode vs. Progressive?

Regards,

Joe

Return to posts index

mattdawgpro
on Sep 10, 2007 at 6:16:37 pm

Frame mode uses interlaced sensors and some black magic Canon won't let anyone know the technical details about to create progressive images. In the end there isn't a difference between frame mode and progressive as far as what you see and how the video signal is processed in post, the difference is how you get there.

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Sep 13, 2007 at 11:45:04 am

Since the frame mode is actually an interpolated interlaced mode, don't you think the video loses resolution because of the interpolation? thanks.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 13, 2007 at 3:49:32 pm

[Ryan Santos] "Since the frame mode is actually an interpolated interlaced mode, don't you think the video loses resolution because of the interpolation?"

On the XL1, XL1S and the GL2, yes, the picture will lose a certain amount of resolution.

- Don

Return to posts index

mattdawgpro
on Sep 13, 2007 at 4:56:07 pm

Yes it should, although it does look great. I always shot in frame mode on my GL-2, I think just has a better aesthetic. I've shot a lot on the XL-H1 and to be honest there really isn't any visual loss in resolution. It's definitly not any worse than doing something like pixel shift from a 960x540 chip to 1080 like the hvx-200 does, and I would say that camera makes great images. Canon claims there isn't any degredation of image quality in F mode, and I've seen a few tests online about it and people seem to come to the conclusion that they're right. Maybe it's just because there's so much more resolution to begin with than an SD camera. Either way the canon cameras make really nice looking progressive images from interlaced chips, but I would expect to see new cameras from them very soon with progressive CMOS chips like the hv20. They're giving rebates on all of the current prosumer lineup and when Canon does that it usually means they're comming out with something new soon.

Return to posts index

mattdawgpro
on Sep 13, 2007 at 5:21:02 pm

Check out this article... http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article06.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]