FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH A1 Capture Dropouts from Panasonic MQ tapes

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shiloh
XH A1 Capture Dropouts from Panasonic MQ tapes
on Sep 8, 2007 at 3:19:48 am

I have a Canon XH A1 that I have shot about 6 hours of HDV on. I use the Pannasonic AY-DVM63MQ tapes that have gotten good reviews. I am starting to think that these tapes are worthless garbage, but maybe I'm wrong. Every tape I have captured has multiple sections of dropped frames (Where the recording was NOT paused). Sometimes the missing video can be re-logged and captured successfully, and sometimes a frame or more are clearly damaged and cannot be recaptured after multiple attempts. I have only used Brand New tapes. I capture to second internal 500GB SATA 3.0 7200 RMP drive with over 200GB of free space at the moment.

With my last camera (Cheap Canon DV), I used the cheapest tapes I could find (TDK, Maxell and Fuji) and never experienced a single dropped frame after years of use and even with re-recorded tapes.

I can't tell if the camera's tape recording mechanism is to blame or the tape.

I am considering using generic TDK or Maxell DV tapes but I have heard that mixing brands of tape in a camera can be hazardous because of different types of lube.

Any thoughts, wisdom or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Shiloh

Mac Pro 2.66, 3G Ram, X 1900-XT, Kona LHe, FCP6

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XH A1 Capture Dropouts from Panasonic MQ tapes
on Sep 8, 2007 at 4:46:50 am

I would suspect that it's not the tape. I've used the same Panny AY-DVM63MQ tapes for the past 3 1/2 years in all 3 of my cameras and have not seen the types of problems you're describing. Sure, I get the odd glitch from time to time but not like what you're seeing. I would suggest you take your camera to an authorized repair facility and get it cleaned and adjusted. Also, any time you get a glitch in the A1 it's going to last at least a half a second because of the nature of the HDV long GOP codec.

A word to the wise. Don't use your aquisition camera to capture with. Buy a Canon HV10 or 20 and use that instead. Why wear out the tape transport on your primary camera? The local broadcast supply place here sells a ton of the HV10s and 20s to people that just use them as capture/playback decks.

The other thing you can try to minimize dropouts is to fast forward and rewind tapes before you record with them. This accomplishes two things:

- the tape is now pre-tentioned properly on the recording drum
- helps to get rid of any particles in the tape transport and recording/playback heads that could cause a dropout in the first place.

The time to decide what type of tape to use or switch to should be after you get your A1 back from Canon Repair. Although I've never used them, I'm told that the Sony Master Series MiniDV tapes are equally as good as the Panny tapes.

FWIW, I use the Panny AY-DVM63MQ tapes in a GL2, XL2 and a Sony PD170 without issues.

- Don

Return to posts index

Shiloh
on Sep 13, 2007 at 12:24:44 am

Thanks for the info Don

Return to posts index

Canon A1
on Sep 19, 2007 at 12:37:15 am

Hi All,

Funny I had the same problem with same tapes, I took my XHA1 to Canon service center this morning.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Shiloh
on Sep 19, 2007 at 9:32:50 am

Hey Matthew,

Have you had other results from other tapes?

I am about to try Panasonic AY-DVM63HD, but it may be a litle while befor I shoot.

I'll let youl know.

Shiloh

Return to posts index

Canon A1
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:36:32 am

Hi Shiloh,

I have always used Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ Tapes.
Will see if it's the Camera or the tapes. I'll let you guys know.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:17:58 am

Hi matthew & Shiloh,

Have you resolved this problem with tapes / camera?

Mick

Return to posts index

Canon A1
on Oct 2, 2007 at 12:26:30 am

Hi,

I picked up my camera from Canon here in Toronto and they told me that the problem was dirty head. I still have to run some tests and will keep you all posted.

Matthew

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 2, 2007 at 12:53:17 am

Thanks,

exactly what I expected.
had the same issue with both of my XM2 (GL2 in USA).

Mick

Return to posts index

Canon A1
on Oct 2, 2007 at 12:56:57 am

Hey Mick,

when did you have this problem and are you using the same kind of tapes? or different ones? by the way how you clean the camera's head?

Matthew

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 5, 2007 at 8:13:08 am

The problem occured in space of 2 months, first my 3 yo GL2,
then next month my 2 year old GL2.
Using only Panasonic master grade professional AY-DVM63MQ
and AY-DVM83MQ.
Additionaly, using Firestore hard drive to avoid using cameras
for capturing.
Using MiniDV cleaning tape for head cleaning, but head was never a problem (I believe)
as both cameras recorded without problem to the last minute.
It is the whole tape transmission system.
In first case, complete transmission system was replaced (A$650),
whilst in second (younger one) I insisted on cleaning only (A$255).

First one failed when fastforwarding a new tape for a job the night before.
Camera would still record, and record without glitch,
but wouldn't fast forward - EJECT TAPE!

Second one failed while recording - EJECT TAPE message.
Footage was OK, tried to capture from that camera, but footage would be
pixelated, blocky. The same tame captured flowlesly from other camera.

That's my story. Conclusion, GL2 (XM2 in Australia) is just a prosumer camera
and the build quality is where they saved, althoug a friend of mine had similar
problems with his XL1s.

Mick

P.S. I've got frequently 2 different people operating one of the 2 cameras.
Noticed that on of them was trying to close the tape door before the tape mechanism
ingested the tape. That might have possibly contributed to the fault. I'm not sure.
But I think that malfunction would occur instantly if that was the cause.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Oct 8, 2007 at 2:41:55 am

[Miodrag Ristic] "althoug a friend of mine had similar
problems with his XL1s."

That's because the GL2 and the XL1S share the same tape transport system. The XL2 has a different and hopefully improved tape transport mechanism.

- Don

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 8, 2007 at 4:36:29 am

There you go...

Thanks Don.

Mick

Return to posts index

Goldbuggary
on Nov 9, 2007 at 1:42:45 pm

I have read this thread with great interest. I have been using Sony tapes and only have one instance of dropout over the use of about 7 tapes. I also purchased a Sony GV-HD700 as the workhorse to playback tapes. The price was about $1100. It has thus far performed flawlessly in conjunction with my Adobe CS3 software. I hope this is not a mistake as it seemed much cheaper than another camera. I am using the Canon XHA-1 as my camera for acquiring source footage.

Return to posts index

Benny Lee
on Feb 28, 2008 at 7:42:35 am

I also have three XH G1 and have been using Panasonic tapes, SQ, PQ, MQ, I even used the Sony DVM63. All of them have dropout problem. The problem is worse by the time and at the result the footage was divided into 10 sections. I have try to put the same tape to another G1 but it still exists. Then I played the tape on every G1 and it clearly showed that aroung 1 seconds was missing. I have took the cameras to Canon but the problem still can't be solved. They have no idea how to solve it. Something must be related to the recording mechanism because I normally uses the HD/SDI to output to the ENG and record on my Macbook Pro. The pictures were fine. No dropouts. But it remains on the tapes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]