FORUMS: list search recent posts

NO print or edit to tape with XL H1???

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrianT
NO print or edit to tape with XL H1???
on Sep 6, 2007 at 7:21:25 pm

Can you not print or edit to tape from Final Cut Pro to the Canon XL H1? I called Canon and they said you cannot record from a computer to the XL H1 UNLESS the footage is NOT edited, or as they put it, raw original video. (a lot of good that does!!!)

I'm only trying to burn an edited sequence to tape on the XL H1 and FCP will not SEE the camera. I can digitize just fine, but you can't choose the XL H1 as an external device. When you go to Print or Edit you get an error "No HDV device available."

Anyone have some more definitive information on this? I hope I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: NO print or edit to tape with XL H1???
on Sep 7, 2007 at 2:26:43 am

What version of FCP are you using?
What do you have your Audio/Video Settings preferences set to?
Under A/V Devices, do you have "Different output for Edit To Tape/ Print To Video" selected?
Is it set for HDV (1440x1080) 24P or HDV (1440x1080) 60i ???

Let us know,

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:35:45 pm

I tried using the default Easy Setup for HDV 1080i 60. Here's the settings:
Sequence - HDV 1080i60
Capture - HDV
Device Control - Sony HDV Firewire
Playback Output Video - None
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video - HDV (1440x1090) 60i
Edit to Tape/PTV OUTput Audio - HDV

The XL H1 is set to
AV to DV ---OFF
HD DOWN-CONV---OFF

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Sep 7, 2007 at 1:47:42 pm

Sorry forgot the external video
I see four flavors of HDV offered for View/Playback, but they are all gray and not selectable. Of course, I can choose none or Desktop. It doesn't matter how many times I select refresh devices, it still won't allow me to choose the HDV output. Keep in mind that I can digitize from the XL H1 without any issues.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
USE THESE SETTINGS TO PRINT TO VIDEO WITH CANON HDV
on Sep 7, 2007 at 2:41:02 pm

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR HDV 1080i60 FOOTAGE. IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH 24F, then simply replace the HDV 1080i60 settings with HDV 1080p24 settings...

1) Turn on your XL H1, with NO firewire cable connected, make sure the following is selected:
PLAYBACK STD: HDV
AV to DV:OFF
HD DOWN-CONV:OFF
2) Then connect a firewire cable between your XL H1 and your Mac (There should be a blue HDV light next to the Firewire port on the camera)
3) Start FCP (IMPORTANT: FCP should now recognize a connection via firewire with the XL H1)
4) Go to Final Cut Pro menu, select Easy Setup, Select HDV 1080i60
5) Go to A/V Settings and select the following:
Sequence - HDV 1080i60
Capture - HDV
Device Control - HDV Firewire Basic
6) Go to A/V Devices, make sure that "Different Output for Edit to Tape/ Print to Video" is checked and select:
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video - HDV (1440x1090) 60i
Edit to Tape/PTV OUTput Audio - HDV

Remember, you can NOT preview your HDV edit in real time via firewire through an HDV camcorder with FCP - (like you can when editing Standard Definition DV with a Standard Definition DV camcorder) - you can only "Print to Video" with HDV over firewire. When you select "Print To Video" FCP will first have to re-conform any cuts you made in the edit to recreate the GOP. This will take a bit of time and will vary, depending upon the speed of your computer. FCP will tell you when it is ready to print video back to the camcorder. Be careful here, you must first press REC+PAUSE on the camcorder and then quickly press "OK" in FCP to begin the Print To Video process.

Let us know if you are still experiencing any difficulty or if you have any other questions please.

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

BrianT
Re: USE THESE SETTINGS TO PRINT TO VIDEO WITH CANON HDV
on Sep 7, 2007 at 4:04:16 pm

Wow. That was intense. Got it to record, although, I found that I do have to select the play now msg in PRINT TO TAPE before the XL H1 will see the video signal. Once FCP starts to play it sees it and records fine.

BTW - I'm using FCP 5.1.4. Is this issue resolved in FCP Studio 2 (vs6)?

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.

Return to posts index

Brian Wignall
on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:57:29 am

I have followed the your directions on the thread but was unable to turn off the AV- DV because it is grayed out on my Canon XLH1 menu. Any ideas. The problem I am having is that when I "Print to Video" it works fine only when the tape is done and I play it back the video and sound are out of sync.

Brian

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on Apr 9, 2009 at 9:00:04 pm

If the PLAYBACK STD setting in the SIGNAL SETUP is set to HDV, the AV>DV will be grayed out. To change the AV>DV settings, the PLAYBACK STD needs to be set to either AUTO or DV.

In regards to this thread, I think having the PLAYBACK STD set to HDV makes the AV>DV work on a default setting. It should be fine.

I've had issues when I try to print to video if my project (HDV) is on an external firewire (800) hard drive.

If you're still having issues, try moving your project to your computer's hard drive and use the same settings Donald posted earlier.

Production Associate
Bend, Oregon, United States

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:39:34 am

This, just, made, MY ENTIRE #%(*ING MONTH.

Return to posts index

John Martin
Re: NO print or edit to tape with XL H1 and Z1U
on Jun 6, 2008 at 7:55:10 pm

Hi guys, Got a similar but also different problem here. Shot all my footage on XLH1, captured via HD-SDI using the Sony HVR-1500. These are my easy set up settings:

Seq: Apple Pro Res 422 HQ 1440x1080 60i
Capture: Blackmagic HDTV 1080i 59.94 Apple Pro Res HQ
Device Control: Blackmagig HDTV 1080i 59.94

Now, I need to output my finished piece from FCP 6.0 via firewire into a Sony Z1U. I keep getting an error message saying incompatible sequence settings. My XLh1 is no longer here. The Z1U is my only bet for outputting my show/print to video.

Help and advice please! Thanks, John

John Martin
Production Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]