FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing DVCAM

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sdlawson
Capturing DVCAM
on Sep 2, 2007 at 8:15:25 pm

Someone gave me some Sony DVCAM tapes to edit. They're DVCAM Advanced ME 40-minute tapes, but in a MiniDV form factor. So physically they fit in MiniDV cameras.

I have a GL2 and an HV20 and a Mac with Firewire. I'll be editing on FCP. Can I use either of these cameras as a deck to capture DVCAM? If not, could anyone suggest a deck I might rent?

Any input on this is appreciated. I'd really like to be able to work on this project.

Steve

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Capturing DVCAM
on Sep 3, 2007 at 5:21:11 am

Canon MiniDV camcorders do not play back DVCAM format. The least expensive Sony DVCAM deck for rental will be the DSR-11. You'd be able to capture from that deck using firewire. Or if you know somebody with a Sony PD150/170 camera you could also use that as a deck, as they will record/playback in both MiniDV and DVCAM formats. I'm sure there are many other options but the ones mentioned above are the most readily available.

- Don

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Sep 5, 2007 at 5:09:25 pm

[Don Greening] "The least expensive Sony DVCAM deck for rental will be the DSR-11. You'd be able to capture from that deck using firewire. Or if you know somebody with a Sony PD150/170 camera you could also use that as a deck, as they will record/playback in both MiniDV and DVCAM formats. "

If you just need to CAPTURE the DVCAM... ANY Sony or Panasonic brand DV camcorder... even the least expensive "home video" types... can PLAY DVCAM perfectly.

The quality of the capture will be perfect.
You can complete the edit and output to standard DV, if you like
(the little camcorders can't record at DVCAM speed, just play it.)

There is no discernible quality difference between DV and DVCAM... it is a virtual identical format, technically.
But the tape SPEED past the heads is faster at DVCAM speed.
And, as was said, Canon can't play this speed.

You might be able to borrow someone's Sony or Panny camcorder for your transfer.

I own several of these that I bought used for about $150 each.
They work great.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 6, 2007 at 2:48:41 am

Thanx for the info. I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that only cameras that said "DVCAM" on the side of the unit could play back DVCAM material. Good to know.

- Don

Return to posts index

sdlawson
on Sep 29, 2007 at 4:30:54 pm

Thanks for your help, everyone. I ended up renting the DSR-20 deck for a weekend for $80, and it worked fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]