FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLH1 Downloadable Gamma & Cine Settings

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mhartzog
XLH1 Downloadable Gamma & Cine Settings
on Aug 9, 2007 at 6:21:46 pm

Does anyone know of a web site I can go to to download gamma or cine settings for the Canon XL-H1 that other folks have made?

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: XLH1 Downloadable Gamma & Cine Settings
on Aug 10, 2007 at 3:34:31 am

Maybe I'll be proven wrong (and I hope I am), but I've never been able to find any available compliations of settings... even after pretty exhaustive search.

Now that being said, I will admit that most of my searching came shortly after we bought our XLH1, which was very shortly after the camera was released. Someone might have released something by now, but I looked a bit pretty recently and haven't been able to find any.

My best suggestion would be to do what we did... just bite the bullet and make your own. We spent a good bit of time very carefully going through all the two-dozen or so settings and tweaking them to death until we came us with some presets that would emulate my four favorite filmstocks (all Vison2... 5201, 5212, 5217, and 5205) and was finally able to match them pretty well. I didn't use any scopes or test instruments, I just did it by eyeball with a good calibrated color monitor.

Unfortunately my numbers will not accurately transfer to anyone else's XLH1, because we never use the stock video lens. We use cine primes which of course have very different color and contrast characteristics compared to the Canon video zoom... so my numbers really only work for my particular set of Leitz/Panavision primes. In fact we had to make a couple of extra specific presets for a couple of Lomo and Arri lenses we have so they would match the others.

If there IS an available settings list floating around, I'd be interested in it as well, as we might have call to use the video lens sometime.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Feagle
on Aug 10, 2007 at 2:34:27 pm

Is it possible to exchange settings for the XLA1? Since it's lens is fixed. There's no worry of different glass effecting the image. I haven't had the time to dissect the custom settings menu much and not very experienced with that kind of thing.

Bruce

Return to posts index

Brad at KT Video
on Aug 13, 2007 at 2:32:12 pm

This site is an excellent resource and they do have user presets for download. Very good user forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Return to posts index

Brad at KT Video
Corrected reply - XLH1 Downloadable Gamma & Cine Settings
on Aug 13, 2007 at 2:35:36 pm

Oops, I gave you the one for the wrong camera. Here's the correct link.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

The other one I listed before is good for XH-A1/G1 users.

Return to posts index

mhartzog
Re: Corrected reply - XLH1 Downloadable Gamma & Cine Settings
on Aug 13, 2007 at 2:52:43 pm

Thanks Brad... I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]