FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL1 need to remove timecode

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dreamer
Canon XL1 need to remove timecode
on Aug 7, 2007 at 11:35:57 pm

Hello,
I have a XL1 and I need to broadcast live with it on our Projection screens. But I cant get the record mode, time code, and battery status display to turn off.
Any help is very much appreciated
Thanks
Dreamer

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Canon XL1 need to remove timecode
on Aug 8, 2007 at 4:13:21 am

It's been a while since I've had the XL1's out, but if I recall, you CANNOT turn any of the on-screen display off from the video-out feed by using any of the camera controls or settings (you will make yourself crazy trying to figure out how).

If I'm remembering right, you can ONLY turn off the on-screen display using the camera's remote control. I don't remember exactly where the button on the remote is or what it's called (sorry, our XL1 is packed away in storage, or I would check), but I imagine it is called either "DISPLAY" or "ON SCREEN." Just use that button to toggle the display on and off.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dreamer
on Aug 8, 2007 at 5:04:01 pm

Thanks Todd,
I have never used the remote for this so I had to find it first. But it worked like a charm.
Have A blessed day.

Thanks,
Dreamer

Return to posts index

hdfilmmaker
on Aug 14, 2007 at 9:51:32 pm

on top of the camera is a button that is called "display" hit it several times and the display goes away.

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:46:30 pm

Ummmm...no.

There is no such "display" button on top of the XL1.

The only way to turn off the on-screen display on the XL1 is with the remote.

I think you must be thinking of one of the newers cameras such as the XL-H1, which DOES have such a button.

A.

Return to posts index

Steve Franklin
on Mar 4, 2016 at 3:58:54 pm

Yes, I learned that you need the remote to switch of the on screen jargon. But after purchasing an XL1 remote to do the job, I had two little canon remotes from consumer mini DV camcorders that had 'on screen' buttons. I tried both and they worked a treat! The remotes are the Canon WL-84 and the WL-61. You may find that any canon remote with the on screen button will work. Hope this helps someone!:-)

Return to posts index

Adam Reinking
on Mar 30, 2009 at 2:04:35 pm

Can you tell me what button on the remote you used to get rid of the display? I can't figure it out.

Return to posts index

Rich Daniels
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:33:39 am

I haven't used the XL1 in so long I forgot what the button was called so I did a little research and found this from the DVInfo site.
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/tips.php

The Watchdog notes:

If you're recording time code during your shoot, you'll always see the time code numbers running in the viewfinder, they can't be switched off. However, you may not want the number display to go out over your cables (to a remote recording deck during a multiple-camera shoot, for instance), which they will unless you've remembered to bring along your XL1's wireless remote control. Aim it at the back of the camera and press the "on screen" button. This will toggle off (or on) the display information going through the video outputs.

Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]