FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p with new canon cameras

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
staceL
24p with new canon cameras
on Jul 10, 2007 at 7:56:36 pm

I'm shooting a wedding this weekend for the first time in 24p. I'm nervous about it. It looks so "stroby" in the viewfinder when I shoot. Makes me nervous.

Should I shoot a wedding in 24p? Will it look ok?

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: 24p with new canon cameras
on Jul 10, 2007 at 10:13:56 pm

First, let me preface this by saying that I am NO wedding expert by ANY stretch... I can count on one hand the weddings that I have actually attended (more than a couple of friends whose weddings I have missed are quick to point out this failing), and no one makes a gun big enough to hold to my head to get me to actually shoot a wedding....

But I have shot tons and tons of 24fps footage... 16mm, 35mm, HDV, and HD.

So...first of all, run some tests. I think you will find that on PLAYBACK on a real monitor it will look very different than what you see in the viewfinder (or on an external monitor when shooting live). I think you will find that playing back recorded 24p footage doesn't look nearly as "stroby" as what you see in the finder.

Secondly, and perhaps more imporantly, I would address the "why"... i.e., why are you planning to shoot a wedding in 24P?

I shoot 24fps all the time, but it's almost always for something that is dramatic or narrative in nature... because we are used to seeing high-end dramatic projects shot on film... at 24fps. On the other hand, the human brain is going to be more expectant of seeing something that is more a "live" representation of a real event in 60i, simply because that is what we are used to seeing (from home movies to news footage to everything in between). If your clients specifically requested the wedding to be shot in 24p, then do it...they must know what they want and the "customer is always right." However, if they are not video savvy, say, not even knowing what 24p is... then they may be very surprised that their wedding video looks very unlike everyone elses wedding video they have seen.

To me, the decision boils down to this: I shoot 24fps when I wish I were shooting film, but budgets or time or whatever don't allow it. In those cases I'm still very careful to have cinema-style lighting, very filmic camera moves, and blocking. The only thing different in a film shoot and a 24p shoot for me is the camera. You have to have control over all of those other things for 24p to be at its most effective... just flipping the switch from 60i to 24p doesn't automatically make something look better... or make it look like film... more often it just looks like video that someone has "done something to."

60i, however, is a mode I would shoot in when I was more trying to preserve a record of an event... be it a wedding or whatever.

This is one of the cases that I think I'd talk over with the client, maybe show them some samples and let them make the decision... since it's well known that hell hath no fury like an angry bride.

And remember this: if you shoot 60i, there are several ways to pull it down to 24p...or at least give it a look at approximates that. BUT, if you shoot 24p, there's NO way to go back to 60i.

Just my two cents....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Feagle
on Jul 10, 2007 at 11:33:18 pm

[Todd at Fantastic Plastic] "
Just my two cents...."

Great advice Todd!! I'm saving this for all the producers that are stuck on using a camera feature just because they think it's cool to talk about the fact that it's shot in 24p.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Jul 10, 2007 at 11:00:16 pm

Which Canon camcorder are you using? Please specify.

Thank you.

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on Jul 11, 2007 at 4:10:51 pm

#1 priority - get the shot. With anything "live" make sure it is lit well and do not
make any camera moves which distract from the event.

#1a - Get EXCELLENT audio. Moving lips is not enough.

After you have all of this covered then you can worry about making it filmic or not.

I would just suggest using a filmic custom preset for the coloring and leave it in 60i.
Later on the couple may want the original tapes and it will be really tough for them
to play back 24f in anything.

The couple will be tearing up later because of what happened that day, not that it's filmic
(even if 24p is more dramatic...which it is).

Will Griffith
Producer/Editor

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Oct 2, 2007 at 10:10:01 am

What about shooting it in 30p?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]