FORUMS: list search recent posts

DC power for XL-H1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JimTuch
DC power for XL-H1
on Jul 4, 2007 at 3:47:41 am

I power my XL-H1 with IDX Endura batteries. I carry both the IDX charger to charge the batteries (which has a DC power output) and the charger that came with the camera (so that I can run off AC power). Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will allow me to power the camera from the 4-pin XLR output of the IDX charger? That way I would have to lug less equipment around. Thanks, Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: DC power for XL-H1
on Jul 4, 2007 at 4:09:50 am

I don't know of a DIRECT adapter that will do that, but if you are capable of doing some minimal electronics surgery (or alternately, just building a cable) it wouldn't be a big deal to make one.

There is an adapter for the XLH1 (part QR-XLH) that allows it to use Anton Bauer goldmount batteries on the back... in fact we power our camera with nothing but bricks now (work great, by the way... last forever).

The adapter has the necessary electronics inside the goldmount to convert the 14.4 volts from the bricks down to the 7.2 volts required by the camera. It shouldn't be a big deal at all to do a little bit of surgery to the adapter and install a 4-pin XLR input jack on it. Then you could pump 14.4 juice in from your Enduras and the Anton Bauer adapter would convert it down to 7.2 volts and pass it on to the camera, just as it would a brick. I think (if I'm remembering the way the circuitry routes correctly) you could even just use the built in "power tap" in the goldmount... instead of doing any surgery on the mount, you'd just need to make a little pigtail cable with a 4-pin XLR connector on one end and the power tap connector on the other.

Just make sure to get the polarity right!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

JimTuch
on Jul 4, 2007 at 3:02:39 pm

Great idea. I can ask the IDX folks, because my IDX adapter also has a powertap connection. Would be easy to make a XLR to D connector cable. Agree with you that bricks work great. Can power the XL-H1 all day and the weight really helps counter balance what is otherwise a very heavy front end camera! Thanks for the suggestion, Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

JimTuch
on Jul 7, 2007 at 1:25:19 am

I am not sure about Anton Bauer, but I checked with IDX and the adapter for the Canon XL-H1 will not accept power in through the D-Tap. The circuitry will not appropriately down convert power input this way.

Jim

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jul 7, 2007 at 2:38:59 pm

I'm sure that's true. I THINK the Bauer one will though, although can't swear to it. I cracked it open once just to see how much circuitry was involved (ok, I didn't actually "crack it," just took out the four screws). If I recall the "power tap" output was just a direct "Y" circuit right off the battery terminals. If that is the case then yes you could INPUT juice there as well as OUTPUT it. I haven't done that though, and I would definitely open it again and look at it good before I tried it. The IDX is obviously designed differently, and steals it's juice for the "power tap" at some other point in the circuit.

You can do this though: Get a dead IDX battery (you can probably find one that needs to be recelled on eBay or from your battery supplier) and gut it, take all the cells out so that you just have an empty shell that will snap into the IDX battery adapter for the XLH1. Then install a 4-pin XLR power connector right in the battery shell (or install a cable in the shell that terminates in an XLR connector outside the shell body). Then you just snap on your "dummy" battery and feed it 14.4 volts from your direct source... the adapter will just "think" it is getting juice from a battery and downconvert its voltage properly for the camera.

We use a similar setup with a "dummy" battery to power our camera for Steadicam use.

Again, make sure polarity is right. Double, triple check it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Jul 10, 2007 at 10:38:20 pm

For what it is worth, the newer BP-970 batteries pack a full 7200 milliamps which will power the XL H1 for a solid 5-6 hours depending on how much zooming you are doing throughout that time.

I think a few BP-970 batts and a dual battery charger is all you need these days - unless you like the extra weight that the larger and heavier Anton Bauer or IDX batteries provide.

I have a bunch of IDX and Anton batts but now all I use are the BP-970's.

Just my .02 cents worth...

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]