XL-H1 and VTRs

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
Arthur Dent
XL-H1 and VTRs
on Jul 3, 2007 at 6:04:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a Cannon XL-H1 soon and would also like to purchase a compatible VTR so I don't destroy my new camera shuttling through tape.

Any one have any recomendations for a compatible VTR - I'm considering Sony's HVR-1500, but and not 100% sure it'll work.

Many thanks,
A.D.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: XL-H1 and VTRs
on Jul 3, 2007 at 8:29:50 pm

Ahhhh.... the quandry.

Here's the thing (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, which I really hope I am), as far as I know if you record with the XLH1 in 24f and HDV mode, then NO ONE makes a VTR that will play back the tape. You MUST use the camera as a source VTR.

As I said, that's AS FAR AS I KNOW. That's not to say that there isn't a deck out there that will do it... but lots and lots of Canon shooters (myself included) haven't found it yet.

Now if you are recording in standard-def, you should not have a deck problem, no matter what mode. We have a variety of decks here (different models, although all of them are Sonys), and they have never had a problem playing back SD from the XLH1 no matter if it was recorded in 60i, 30f, or 24f. Similarly, most any HDV deck should also play the tape fine AS LONG AS IT IS RECORDED 60i. It's only when recording HDV 24f that you run into this problem. Actually... I can't speak to whether 30f is a problem or not, as we have never even once recorded anything 30f.

I HATE using the camera as a source deck, too. Firstly, it wears out the camera. Secondly, it's just inconvenient and klunky. Thirdly, it ties up a camera that could be out shooting. An fourthly, if you work with clients in your suite you frankly just look like a goober playing tape out of a camera.

The only other solution that I know of (which some people do) is to buy one of the little ultra-cheap thousand-buck Canon camcorders such as the HV10 or HV20 and use it as a source "deck"... which actually aren't bad little cameras, if you'd like an extra one hanging around (we bought an HV20 to basically use as a crashcam). The downside to that is that we like to intake via HD-SDI, and those little cameras don't output that (they will output HDMI but not HD-SDI).

I'm wishing there was a better solution.... in fact I'm HOPING that someone corrects me, tells me I'm full of cheese, and lists a real deck that will work.

(P.S. Don't let that dissuade you from the XLH1, though... it's a GREAT camera).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Schell
on Jul 3, 2007 at 9:01:54 pm

Hi Arthur,
Todd is correct that the 24F from the Canon won't play in any deck/camera but a Canon. Any other format will work in the Sony Decks (M15, M25, 1500).
We have talked to a lot of people that purchase the Canon HV20 to use as an edit feeder. Its true that it has an HDMI output. We make a converter called HD-Connect MI that converts from HDMI to HD-SDI and also does RS-422 to 1394 command conversion. Its fairly cheap at $595 and would also work with the Sony M25 deck, which has HDMI output.

John Schell
Convergent Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jul 3, 2007 at 10:42:50 pm

[John Schell] "24F from the Canon won't play in any deck/camera but a Canon"

True... but again ONLY for high-def. Standard-def 24f plays fine (and looks like a million bucks) in our Sony decks.

Just to clarify...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on Jul 5, 2007 at 11:52:40 am

Gentlemen, thank you for your respose. I prefer HD-SDI connections to my NLE, and am leaning towards the Sony hvr-1500, I'll keep in mind the 24f issue.

Many thanks,
A.D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]