FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hands-On Training for the Canon H1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StevenERIE
Hands-On Training for the Canon H1
on May 15, 2007 at 5:46:34 pm

Hello,

I would really like to pay someone a boatload of money to train me (not via DVD or blog) on my brand spanking new Canon XL-H1.

In a perfect world, I would be learning the camera with the goal of creating short films that would look like, well, film.

Training location doesn't matter. I just need to get up to speed...as fast a possible!

Thanks!

-Steve

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Hands-On Training for the Canon H1
on May 16, 2007 at 3:27:26 pm

Define "boatload" :)

A little clairification would be helpful... do you need someone to teach you how to shoot.... or are you already an accomplished shooter who needs to learn how to specifically use the XLH1?

If it's the latter, shouldn't be a big deal for you to learn. We have used our XLH1 since right when they first came out, and have found it to be quite easy to use and intuitive. I'm one of those "never open a manual" guys, but in this case I did thoroughly read the book and it told me everything about the camera that I needed to know.

The XLH1 will do a lot toward "making it look like film," as you said. I think you will be happy with the results. Just be prepared for the fact that with the XLH1 alone it will never look 100% COMPLETELY like telecined film, as the deep depths of field will always give it away (to trained eyes) as video. To get over that hump you will need a lens converter (we use the P+S Technik Mini35) and cine lenses. Even without that, however, the XLH1 puts out a STUNNING picture. I think I've been happier with the XLH1 than with any other video camera we've ever bought (and some of the film cameras!)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

nitron
on May 16, 2007 at 9:34:16 pm

There are a few trick you might want to learn.

If you think shooting at 24f in H1, IN YOUR DREAM. No matter what you do, IT WILL LOOK LIKE STROBING FX.

I have shot over 100 wedding and learn almost every trick and tough situation possible. I sleep with my H1.

Let me know if you still interested.

I have demo shot on DVD 4x3 and 16x9 shot for you to look at.

Nit

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on May 19, 2007 at 3:53:06 am

[nitron] "If you think shooting at 24f in H1, IN YOUR DREAM. No matter what you do, IT WILL LOOK LIKE STROBING FX"

Oh so SO untrue. I've had an XLH1 for just over a year now, with it I have shot dozens and dozens of local, regional, and a couple of national television commercials. I'd say 99% of my projects have been shot 24f (we only used 60i a few times when we WANTED it to look like video), and it always looked like a million bucks. Never had even a hint of "strobing" or anything else like that. Canon's 24f imports into our NLEs EXACTLY like our telecined 35mm film... frame for frame, field for field, it's exact... and I've found it flawless.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on May 17, 2007 at 2:52:21 pm

I provide training and would be happy to assist you in reaching your camera goals. Feel free to reach me via email at "don@NOSPAMnoisybrain.com". (Remove the text "NOSPAM" when emailing me...

Looking forward to hearing from you!

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]