FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cam Reccomendation

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spades
Cam Reccomendation
on May 7, 2007 at 11:16:45 am

Hi,

I'd like to purchase a video camera to work on a few personal experimental projects, web and TV. However I dont have any idea were to even start when looking for a camera.

I know I havent given much information, but would really appreiciate recommendations and advice on resources I can use for further research.

Thanks

Return to posts index

titan3ium
Re: Cam Reccomendation
on May 8, 2007 at 12:04:51 pm

That is kinda hard to let you know what you should buy. Can you explain a little bit more cause I know everyone is willing to give thier opinion on a purchase matter. You should let us know like is this just a small project and after let's say a year or so you only want the camera, or is it something you hope is going to grow and so you hope to buy a camera that will last for a long time? Also are you looing into HD or is SD? Also how much expierance do you have with video camera's. Do you want total control or do you want the camera to handle more of the control's? I've been working in tv for 5 years now and just last year started my own production company and for me sadly for now it comes to what I can spend; then I look for the best in that price range. And the best way to get any info on any camera pretty much is what you found already which is the COW. So please give us as much info as you can so we can help you.

Good Luck
Chuck Obie

Return to posts index

Spades
on May 9, 2007 at 3:37:41 am

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm basically looking for something I can use for making mini-documentaries of broadcast quality and video podcasts. It would be great if I could get a camera that's pretty highend that I could work with on a longterm basis, but one of my concerns is price (as always). Would it be a bad idea to try to find something used?

I have no training in regards to using video cameras, I'm willing to learn while working, however something not too intimidating would be nice. In regards to HD or SD what do you suggest?

Thanks

Return to posts index

titan3ium
on May 10, 2007 at 6:57:49 pm

If you are looking for documentry type equipment for broadcast and such, totally stay away from what are on the shelf's at best buy and circuit city. Some will say HD and such but I find that if HD is the way you are going and you want this for pod cast and broadcast then invest that little bit extra because the quality is totally worth it. Many cams now have the option of HD or SD which is nice to have. I myself have just bought a Canon XL2 (just SD) and it is used. According to the person I bought it from, there are low hrs on it and it's coming with a 3x lens. I have used one before for a shoot which is part of the reason I decided on a canon (also because it shoot in 24p) I like how the camera worked and I understand it that you can use this camera to control a great deal of things or put it all on auto and it will pretty much take care of it's self. I did notice though that the color on the canon came out much better than it did on my new sony hdr-fx1. Color correction took care of it, but as always the less you have to do the better the product is sometimes. So for a Cannon reccomendation I would go with that. As for used or new; it's always better to buy new cause you know what the camera has gone through. I bought a used and it's a gamble on my part but I didn't have the funds for a new one. But if you can, buy new! I hope this helps, sorry for the length.

Chuck Obie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]