FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Purchase DV Camcorder

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DenKeaCreative
First Purchase DV Camcorder
on May 1, 2007 at 6:56:40 pm

Hellu-

I'm a still photographer / post production artist purchasing my first DV camera...awe! Here are my needs- something lite and portable, lots of manual over-ride ('cause if you are a camera you do not know what I am thinking) a mic that can be upgraded, and yeah I like accessories. I probably would love HD, but my clients currently don't own that level of viewing equipment, and will instead be posting the productions to the web. So standard DV format is cool with me. Here's the narrowed down list:

Canon GL2

Sony DCR VX2100

and HD

JVC GR HD1

Sony HDR -FX1

Should I go with the Canon?
You think I should go with the Canon?
Ok. I'll go with the Canon.....

Return to posts index

titan3ium
Re: First Purchase DV Camcorder
on May 1, 2007 at 8:12:53 pm

I am in the same boat as you but I have been doing video production for 4 years now. Right now I do own the Sony HDR-FX1. I have used Sony pretty much throughout my whole career thus far and for someone who is going to point and shoot I would point anyone towards this camera. It very simple to use, there is little worry about focus unless you want to control it and take it off auto focus and the DV quality is great. As for a mic system, I use a wirelss mic Sennheiser EW 100G2. But you can find other mic's like a small shot gun or what ever you need. For accessories you can find them depending on what your need is. But from my point of view, the FX1 is a good balance between price and quality!

Return to posts index

Frank Tucker
on May 1, 2007 at 9:09:59 pm

Since this is the Canon list, I would recommend you look closely at the new canon XH-A1. It is the same basic formfactor as the GL2 and only slightly more expensive than the GL2 and about the same as the Sony FX1. Like the Sony, it provides you with the flexibility to shoot in both Standard DV format or HDV. Unlike the Sony it gives you the (IMHO) better lens, stablizer and color controls. This gives you a camera that will meet your current needs and allow you to experiment and shoot HD as needed.

Copter Doc
The spin starts here (;->)

Return to posts index

DenKeaCreative
on May 2, 2007 at 6:32:09 pm

Both of you have made valid points. (Sigh...) I guess it's time to just jump in.

Everybody into the pool!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Daniel Serrano
on May 7, 2007 at 5:20:28 am

if you stay in DV land, and do low light stuff...

stay with the Sony DCR VX2100..

Hello from Mexico....

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on May 7, 2007 at 5:59:44 pm

Here's my 2 cents,

I shoot with a Canon GL2 for the last 4 years, but who's counting. The picture is great for what I use it for, Wedding showers, corporate video and lots of travel footage. I take this camcorder everywhere I go. It's been all around the world. It's light, easy to use and the size to me is important getting it onto the airplane as a carry on. I never check in my camera gear. Start thinking about shooting in HDV. The picture quality is superb compared to DV. The sony FX has no XLR inputs, the Sony Z1U does and more money. The Canon A1 and the G1 has the inputs. I 'm checking out the Canon HD Camcoders because of their size and their weight. I still have to do more research, but the Canon camcorders is what I'll probably buy.

Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

DenKeaCreative
on May 7, 2007 at 6:20:42 pm

Hey-
Thanks for your input. How does the GL2 work for you in available indoor light? Or do you usually find that you must set up a light kit?

I am looking at the HD versions also, ooooo but priceeeeeey!!!

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on May 8, 2007 at 5:18:40 am

It's ok with the indoor light. It's always good to have some kind of light source with you just incase you need it.

Ralph

Return to posts index

Daniel Serrano
on May 8, 2007 at 5:55:34 am

I got a chance to work on multiple camera setup using the GL2 and sony VX2100, we recorded a band in a concert and I could see the difference on the low light, but guess what?
the other people did not.

check it out:

hope you can see the difference between a GL2 and a VX2100

enjoy

Hello from Mexico....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]