FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser MKE 300 Mike only 1 channel on Canon GL-2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gondek
Sennheiser MKE 300 Mike only 1 channel on Canon GL-2
on Apr 27, 2007 at 5:40:44 pm

Got my Canon GL2 yesterday. The Sennheiser Mike only has one channel. When I take the mike off I get both left and right coming in.

Is there a setting on the camera I need to change (12 or 16 bit maybe), or could the mike be defective.

I got to film a person speaking on Saturday morning so your help is appreciated,otherwise I may stick with teh GL2 mike which is probably nto that bad.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Sennheiser MKE 300 Mike only 1 channel on Canon GL-2
on Apr 27, 2007 at 6:58:18 pm

Your GL2's on camera mic is stereo and the Senn mic is probably mono. In order for the Senn mic to record to both channels you would need to buy a mono to stereo miniplug adapter. However, even with the adapter the signal from the Senn. mic would not be turned into a stereo signal but instead would record the mono signal to both of the GL2's audio channels.

There is no setting in the GL2's menu that you need to change. Toggling between 12 and 16 bit audio just affects the quality of the audio being recorded. If you really want to capture the talent's voice properly you need to have the mic as close as possible to that person. Standing 20 feet away and using the on board camera mic is not recommended, no matter how good the mic is.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 28, 2007 at 1:06:52 pm

You are correct, I did find on the side of the box this is a mono Mike. Dont think that I will get an adapter, as I could do the saem in Adobe Premiere of duping a channel.

Is this a bad Microphone because it is mono??? It retails over $300.

I have to leave in about an hour to film, but will tripod the camera as close as possible to the speaker. Will do a test with and without the shotgun microphone, adn will decide whetehr to use the onboard or hot shoe shotgun mike.

Can someone tell me if I should dupe the single channel into stereo, this is going on the web and on DVD.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 29, 2007 at 5:44:18 pm

Mike the mke300 is a consumer mic - retails around $150, probably as good as any shotgun in that price range. Unfortunately on-axis gain is expensive to engineer, so pro shotguns start around $500 and will require an XLR adapter to work with the gl2.

You should get the $2 stereo adapeter Don mentioned. Reason: Correctly setting the levels dramatically improves the SN ratio, but also increases the possibility of overload/distortion/unuseable audio. So set ch1 at -12db and ch2 at -18db - then if ch1 peaks you can switch to ch2.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
on Apr 30, 2007 at 6:56:28 pm

Thanks everybody for sharing your wisdom, I'm not so familiar behind the camera as I am behind the computer. I recorded without the Sennheiser Mike, and the camera was close enough so it is clear and loud enough.

Maybe I will finally try out Adobe Audition to improve the sound.

The Canon GL-2 is much much better than my old Sony PC-100. Had to buy the GL-2 for a client, didn't want to spend too much or too little. Was nice for once to have extra lights and not need to set them all up. Wish my client woudl let me borrow the camera, all the flowers are growing so fast now and that camera has a time delay

One day I hope to get something with an even lower lux like the XL. Mayeb I will get myself a GL-2 as it is small and could still make a good vacation camera. There are a couple of places that sell it for as low as $600 but no warranty or power charger ($279 additional).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]