FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH A1 LCD display flickers under mixed lighting?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paullie
XH A1 LCD display flickers under mixed lighting?
on Apr 22, 2007 at 7:09:45 pm

Hi folks,
I just had checked XH A1 in one of local stores. My first impression is great. It's all functions are almost overwhelming, I think it is the best deal in it's class. However I was surprised by how small the LCD display is compare to Sony V1U. And my concern is, that under indoor light in show room which was mixed with outdoor light coming through a window, a picture on LCD kind of flickers, specially when you pan or tilt and when there is fine texture in background. It looks like camera is confused what light to take. (This is different from that well known effect, where indoor bulb kind of gradually fluctuates from green to blue tint according to it's temperature) This is kind of randomly changing aperture effect. I don't know if this would affect actual recording, ( I did not record, I only looked at the picture on LCD) maybe it is just the way LCD handles mixed lighting.
Did anyone noticed this?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XH A1 LCD display flickers under mixed lighting?
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:18:50 am

Flourescent lighting will appear to "pulse" in a display, much the same as trying to capture a computer display without the "rolling picture" effect. When working with this lighting try changing shutter speed to offset the 60Khz electrical pulsing in NTSC land or 50Khz in PAL land. If the flickering in the LCD display is still present under normal (no flourescents) indoor lighting, the electrical pulsing may still be present but not nearly as obvious. You can still try changing shutter speed to keep the effect to a minimum. Personally I haven't noticed this using incandescent lighting, only with flourescents.

As a futher note: when shooting under mixed lighting conditions it's always preferable to use the man. w/balance setting and make sure the mixed light sources are all reflecting off your whiteboard. Using the auto w/b setting in mixed lighting conditions will certainly confuse your camera.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Paullie
Re: XH A1 LCD display flickers under mixed lighting?
on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:58:48 pm

Hello Don,
first of all thank you for your input. I had bought that camera since my post, so I was kind of worried, that Canons have malfunctioning LCD's, or something. I had never experienced this effect with my old Sony PD 150 (only problem with inddor light was that common gradual fluctuation from greenish to bluish tint as the bulb changes its temperature). So I am very happy that this flickering effect is nothing uncommon and what you write makes perfect sense..
Thanks again for your explaination
Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]