FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Troubles

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francishughesmedia
Camera Troubles
on Apr 16, 2007 at 6:05:55 pm

Hi All,

I am planning a production of a short doc around 6 mins. I want to shoot on DVCAM, mainly as its a broadcast format. Ive had a quote for

Return to posts index

WilliamBusby
Re: Camera Troubles
on Apr 16, 2007 at 11:21:04 pm

All I can say is, "broadcast quality" has always been a subjective term. Anything that meets the bare minimal specs for broadcast can be deemed broadcast quality.

Also, having no experience shooting with an adapter & hoping to figure it out on a paying gig calls for disaster. Even with someone who is experienced with them, there's still a great deal of time setting up shots, adjusting, etc. Maybe your friend suggested it because the end product will look more "filmish" from the shallow DOF.

Good luck,
Bill

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
Re: Camera Troubles
on Apr 17, 2007 at 4:24:49 am

The P+S Technik Mini35 converter is a wonderful piece of equipment... we use one almost daily with our Canon XLH1.

HOWEVER...

Do NOT go out and attempt to do a big important shoot having no experience with one. While not overly difficult to use, they are unusual pieces of equipment and take some work to learn to use effectively. I don't know what your ability is (it may be extremely high, if so, no offense intended), but they are definitely best in the hands of cinematographers with a fair bit of legitimate experience shooting film.

Plus, to get great results from it you need a really top notch set of real cinema prime lenses (superspeeds, if possible), and they aren't cheap (a Mini35 is about $10K, and a primes set can cost several times that). To rent a primes set would probably be almost as much as the rate you are getting for the DVcam package.

I'm not trying to knock the Mini35... I could hardly live without ours. But don't try to use one right out of the box.

BTW... if my Pounds Sterling to Dollars conversion is accurate, the deal you are getting on the DVcam package is a steal.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]