FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 Audio

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marglar
GL2 Audio
on Apr 2, 2007 at 12:23:34 am

Hello All.

I'm going to be using my GL2 to shoot some natural scenes and wonder if I should have any kind of a preamp or if its audio is clean enough with a decent mic.

I'm new to video and the gear so any insight will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

marglar
Re: GL2 Audio
on Apr 2, 2007 at 1:28:44 am

I suppose what I should have also said was that I need to prevent any type of clipping also. I'll have occasional loud audio, such as waves crashing. I'll set my levels to deal with this the best I can, but having some help to stop any clipping would be great.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 3, 2007 at 7:20:24 am

In order to use good quality mics which will give you more recording headroom you need to have XLR inputs. You might consider something like the Beach Tek DXA-4P Dual XLR Adapter.

http://www.beachtek.com/

If you're shooting outside a mic windscreen is a must. Here's a good one for the stock GL2 stereo mic:

http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/canon/gl/default.asp

I leave this windscreen on my GL2 all the time, Doesn't seem to make a difference in the mic's recording sensitivity and makes shooting outside with breezes and wind an non issue. Worth every penny. The GL2's stock mic will pick up some recording noise from the tape transport but if you're shooting outside there's usually enough ambient sound to mask it. To get rid of all camera noise you'll need to get a good hot shoe mounted mic with a system isolator and another windscreen made for the particular mic you end up buying.

There's not a lot of audio headroom with Mini DV cameras like the GL2. The above recommendations will help to minimize clipping but it really boils down to riding the mic gain manually and to constantly monitor with headphones.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 6, 2007 at 3:27:33 pm

to help prevent clipping record to both channels and set the levels around 6db apart - so you have channel one at around -12db and channel 2 around -18db.

Return to posts index

marglar
on Apr 6, 2007 at 3:34:43 pm

You know, for mono recording that is a great idea! I have to do training videos and this is something that I'll absolutely do!

What about for stereo recording though? I do some binaural (3d spacial sound) recording that requires both audio tracks to be matched. I was hoping for a not-too-expensive solution to ensure that even if an unusually loud sound comes in, it won't clip. Some kind of auto-level control.

Does the GL2 do that automatically with the auto-audio setting?

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 6, 2007 at 4:44:42 pm

yes - AGC will prevent most clipping. The audio will be noisy and thin with a lot of echo - but with any luck mostly intelligible.

Follow Don's advice if you aspire to something more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]