FORUMS: list search recent posts

XH-A1 Record in HD then Output SD ?? + What about going broadcast?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cliffdrop
XH-A1 Record in HD then Output SD ?? + What about going broadcast?
on Mar 20, 2007 at 6:13:58 pm

Hello gang, I'm new to the forum so I'm going to put a little background about me before I get to the question at hand. Feel free to skip over the bio if you haven't got the time or inclination to read it.

I've been recording video and editing as a side gig for years. 20 years ago I was shooting weddings on VHS and editing with 2 VCR's. Last year I lost my job due to my son's illness so I decided to go Pro. I sold a rental property I owned, raided my 401K and built an awesome video studio and media suite. I'm running XH-A1 cameras and editing in Final Cut Pro & Adobe on a tricked out MAC G5 . I used to use consumer grade cameras, Pinnacle Studio, and PSP so I'm under a pretty big learning curve now having switched not only equipment and software, but computers to boot. (Although I don't miss all the Windows patches and such).

So here are my questions:

1. Since a large majority of my present work is wedding & special event related and I have the HD recording and editing capability, should I record my event videos in HD even though I'm currently burning SD? [ I'm thinking my customers might like the idea of being able to redo in HD at a later date. This would also give me an edge over some competitors and a resale down the pike :o) ] So... what are the pros and cons of editing in HD then outputting SD?

2. To my surprise I've been approached by one major television studio (for a local shoot) and a few local broadcast entities. Now I'm a pretty fair cameraman, but do I realistically have anything to offer them equipment wise with my XH-A1's and a small mobile sound stage or would I be laughed out of their office or off location?

Appreciate your feedback!

Cliffdrop

Return to posts index

Holsteins look ok anywhere
Re: XH-A1 Record in HD then Output SD ?? + What about going broadcast?
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:34:13 am

As someone who has worked both in broadcast and freelance for a while, allow me to point out the most valuable commodity you offer your clients is not your gear: it is you yourself. Your professional bearing and the results you provide will make or break your freelance work not the fact that you are using an XH-A1 (although I suspect most clients would view that as a plus anyway.)

New to Cow but not to TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]