FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XLH1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GEMPIC
Canon XLH1
on Mar 9, 2007 at 11:56:23 pm

Hello

I seem to have problems capturing footage from the XLH1 when I have shot in HD 24p.
I heard rumors that it's not compatible with FCP.
Please Help

Return to posts index

GEMPIC
Re: Canon XLH1
on Mar 10, 2007 at 12:46:15 am

Sorry I realize I need to be more clear.

My Sony Firewire deck won't read the tape when I have shot in HD 24f.
From the camera using firewire FCP HD won't capture even using capture now.
I'm using a G5 with the NVIDA Quadro FX 4500 card, trying to capture using i Link to Fire wire.
Nothing seems to work.

Return to posts index

WilliamBusby
on Mar 10, 2007 at 4:26:34 am

I don't use FCP, but you need to research which version has Canon's frame mode support & even then you can only use the XLH1, the XH series cameras, and the HV10 (& HV20 when it's released) for playback. No other manufacturers devices currently support it.

Bill

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
on Mar 10, 2007 at 6:28:05 pm

"you can only use the XLH1, the XH series cameras, and the HV10 (& HV20 when it's released) for playback."

Yep, I think that's unfortunately true... but fortunately I believe it is limited to the HD world. If you happen to be shooting SD, then the tapes shot at 24f should work in any deck... we do it all the time, feeding SD 24f out of several different decks (although I do believe they are all Sonys).

Todd

Return to posts index

WilliamBusby
on Mar 10, 2007 at 8:00:36 pm

Are you sure about that? Anyone else want to chime in?

Bill

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
on Mar 10, 2007 at 11:17:31 pm

[WilliamBusby] "Are you sure about that?"

Ok, I'll back off a bit.

I recend my statement that "SD video shot 24F will work in any deck."

My new statement is "SD video shot in 24F does work in all the particular decks that I myself happen to have, and have never had any problem with any of them feeding 24F video."

I have several different decks (although all Sony's) from a very old DSR-20, to a funky hybrid WV-DR7 that Sony only sells in Japan, to a couple of the more "modern" ones. Standard definition 24F from the XLH1 plays like a charm in all of them. Captured video from them (when viewed on a 29.97 timeline in PremierePro2) has the proper 3:2 pulldown, exactly like telecined film.

It might just be me, but I don't tend to be that lucky... which led to my blanket statment that it should play fine in any deck.

Todd

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Mar 14, 2007 at 1:35:37 am

What version of FCP do you have? I just purchased an XL H1, and the newest release of FCP CROSSGRADE includes the ability to dig all the Canon codecs via firewire. It's a complete upgrade, and if you don't do it soon, you'll "possibly" pay more. Go here http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/ for more information.

Other than that, my understanding is the Canon HV10 is your only option to be able to play back "all" the Canon codecs. I don't have any personal testing with other decks yet.

Best of luck
Brian

The Visual Rabbi

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Mar 21, 2007 at 2:50:19 pm

As long as you are using FCP v5.1.2 or higher, you should have no problem capturing Canon HDV 24F over Firewire provided that you play the source tapes from a Canon HDV camcorder. Select an "Easy Setup" of "HDV 1080P 24F". This works 100% and any tech problems I have seen reported regarding capturing 24F in FCP have always been due to operator error and not setting the correct preferences within FCP.

Please do let us know how you make out and if you have any other questions.

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Anthony Dalesandro
Re: Canon XLH1 - HV10 layoff problem
on Mar 22, 2007 at 10:16:11 pm

Donald,
What about laying off? I was able to capture from my HV-10 no problem with FCP 5.1.4 but I can't seem to lay off the HDV sequence at all. Seems like FCP doesn't recognize the camera? Any thoughts?

---
Anthony Dalesandro
add2@pacbell.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]