FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XLH1 Dysfunctional Audio Channels

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
prolog
Canon XLH1 Dysfunctional Audio Channels
on Mar 8, 2007 at 10:10:34 pm

t seems that Canon neglected to include a switchable output for audio. So, channels 3-4 are incompatable with every NLE. If you put audio on either of those channels, you cannot access them for video editing. If that's really the case, it's a dumb trap for XLH1 owners. The solution is throw away the stereo camera mic, buy a mono, wire it into the rear XLR and then put your lav into audio2. Then you have 2 discreet audio channels that can be captured by any NLE. Just like real professional cameras.

It's so weird that Canon put so much effort into the visual aspects of the camera, then put together a simply weird and convoluted audio system that can't make up its mind whether its an amateur or pro machine. From various forums it sounds like pro users have been complaining about this for years.

Let it be said here: Shame on Canon for its rinky-dink approach to audio for video!

Return to posts index

Frank Tucker
Re: Canon XLH1 Dysfunctional Audio Channels
on Mar 8, 2007 at 10:29:39 pm

I regularly capture 4 channels of audio in my Avid Liquid NLE software with no problems at all from my canon XL1 and my Canon XLH1 using the standard firewire interface. The only difference between the audio is that the 2 channel audio can be captured at 16 bit but the 4 channel audio is 12 bits (I think). Once in the NLE, you can select what ever channels you want to keep.

Copter Doc
The spin starts here (;->)

Return to posts index

prolog
on Mar 9, 2007 at 1:58:40 pm

So, I guess it's a shortcoming in Sony Vegas that it won't capture 4 channels. I couldn't get Adobe Premier to do it either. But I did have one expert say that Matrox cards can decipher the 4 channels. Seems like every configuration has different capabilities, even on this pretty basic level.

Return to posts index

Frank Tucker
on Mar 9, 2007 at 8:20:29 pm

I think Canon has had the 4 channel audio since it releases the XL1 and this goes back many years now. NLE software bendor have had lots of time to assimilate these capabilities into thier software and I'm supprised that Sony Vegas does not have this capability as the Canon XL1 was for a long time the premiere video camera non the market (my opinion).

It might just be a typical Sony position that they are more interested in thier hardware and suppoting it than developing software that supports a broad range of cameras. In any event, Pinnacle's Edition, Liquid Edition and Avid Liquid has supported this for some time.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
on Mar 21, 2007 at 2:40:22 pm

>>>>>>>>The solution is throw away the stereo camera mic, buy a mono, wire it into the rear XLR and then put your lav into audio2. Then you have 2 discreet audio channels that can be captured by any NLE. Just like real professional cameras.

Ummmm, how are you getting two discrete audio channels if they are being fed by the same monophonic mic?

?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]