FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync timecode between XL2 and XL1S

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doece25
Sync timecode between XL2 and XL1S
on Feb 20, 2007 at 8:07:59 pm

I have a shoot coming up in March where I will be shooting on my XL2 along with a friends XL1s and was wondering what ways there are to externally/internally sync the timecode between the cameras to ease the post process. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Sync timecode between XL2 and XL1S
on Feb 22, 2007 at 3:46:58 am

You really can't do this via switches or cabling, as the camera's are not designed to accept external TC.

But there is a way to make it easier in the edit to sync one camera's footage to the other.

Run a video monitor from the output of one camera (A) and place the monitor near the 2nd camera (B).
Make sure A is set to feed its TC display out to the monitor.

Start recording on A and shoot a few seconds of A's monitor with Cam B at the beginning of a "take".

Then in the edit, capture both cameras footage, and slide B's footage until the TC seen on its recording of the monitor matches A's TC.

You'd need to do this "shoot the monitor" every time either camera was stopped and re-started.

There is another method that requires starting both cameras with the same remote control, but its generally not practical and is less reliable than the "shoot the monitor" trick (which is virtually fool-proof if you remember to do it every time a camera is re-started.

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
Re: Sync timecode between XL2 and XL1S
on Mar 8, 2007 at 4:46:01 pm

"Shooting the monitor" is an interesting idea, never really thought of that. That's kinda like when shooting film and using a "smart slate" that displays the timecode of the sound recorder.

On the occasions that we do multi-camera, even though our cameras will TC jam with each other we generally do something much more basic that has worked in the industry for the better part of a century now: clapper sticks.

I've never done this, but when it's impractical to slate scenes with clapper (say it's an event, or logistically hard to get someone into frame with a slate) I know that some people have fired a photo strobe at the scene, and used the flash as a sync mark.

Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]