FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 vs XL2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NewtoMoo
GL2 vs XL2
on Feb 5, 2007 at 3:38:22 pm

Hey,

I am in the market for DV camcorder. I am trying to get a feel for if it is worth it to me to get the XL2 since I do plan on getting a HD version within 3 years. Either way do you have any advice on which to buy and where to purchase.

After reading some of the horror stories of online purchases I am a bit leary.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: GL2 vs XL2
on Feb 6, 2007 at 7:31:07 am

Your buying decision is directly related to what type pf shooting you want to do. Both the GL2 and the XL2 have their strengths and weaknesses. If you could be more specific I could give you a more informed answer.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

NewtoMoo
on Feb 7, 2007 at 10:10:49 pm

Don,

We are filming video's primarily for church youth. We will be doing live motion and interviews alike. We currently have projectors that do not do Hi def. for display. We are in the process of moving into a new church and then we will have HD projectors. The long and short of it is that we will be doing everything from backgrounds to low light action to interviews in front of coffee shops. Sorry to not narrow it down terribly but I am trying to be as spicific as I can :).

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 9, 2007 at 6:40:49 am

[NewtoMoo] "Sorry to not narrow it down terribly but I am trying to be as spicific as I can :)."

You gave me enough to form a recommendation. None of the standard def Canons work particularly well in very low light situations. Don't get me wrong here: if you're shooting inside on a cloudy day and there's not a lot of interior lighting and small windows you'd probably get the shot but you'd be at the limit of the GL2 without adding picture gain. I'm thinking church here. At least this has been my experience with my GL2. Your mileage will obviously differ depending on the amount of interior light you're getting. You need to try one out first before making a decision. With proper lighting the GL2's picture is clear and crisp.

The XL2 is better in low light than the GL2 by at least 1 stop and even with +3 or +6 of picture gain added, the picture is still acceptable. This has also been my experience. The XL2's picture is superior to the GL2 if they both have good lighting to work with.

If low light shooting is a major part of your camera needs and you can't afford to buy a light kit or would even have the time to set one up then have a good look at the Sony DSR-PD170, the undisputed king of low light shooting.

Summary: The GL2 is small and has a great picture if you have enough light. The XL2 needs less light to get a good picture but is larger, heavier and more expensive than the GL2. The XL2 is the only one of the 3 cameras that shoots native widescreen. The Sony works great in low light but only has a 13X zoom, a mono on-camera mic and the picture quality (in my opinion) falls just slightly below the GL2 as long as the GL2 has enough light.

Hope this hasn't made your buying decision even more confusing but has perhaps helped a bit.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:50:59 pm

I use both the xl2 and the pd170. The pd170 is great for low/available light and is a very very capable run and gun cam. For interviews get yourself external mikes. I like the XL2 audio controls way better than the pd170. But I use an external mixer now that more or less does away with this difference. Handheld mikes are cheap and offer great quality. Good cordless sets will set you back about $600 a piece but can be used after making the transition to HD. The xl2 might future proof better in that it is 16:9 native. Will your HD projector be able to project 16:9 and 4:3? The PD170 is a steal at $2500 right now. But both companies have transition cams as well that shoot both SD and HDV. Something tells me HDV will be phased out too. I think as storage gets cheaper and more reliable, tape will be phased out and highly compressed formats like HDV will be phased out. Personally I think technology is evolving so fast that it is best to buy what you need now and worry about the future when it comes.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]