FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Elura 100

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
almarrob
Canon Elura 100
on Jan 31, 2007 at 2:35:34 pm

We recently bought 10 Canon Elura 100's for our students to use for interviews. We chose these because of their price and because they had external microphone inputs (not many consumer level cameras do). Now we find out that there is no headphone output for monitoring the interviews. Has anyone else had this experience? Are we crazy and perhaps there is a headphone output and we can't find it? Why would Canon make a camera with an external mic input and no way to monitor it? Is there a workaround?

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Canon Elura 100
by
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:31:59 am

If (and I don't know for sure) there is no dedicated headphone jack, you can use the A/V jack for this.

First (just to try it) plug in a set of phones directly to the A/V jack and listen to see if it works that way.

(My Panasonic home video camcorders allow headphone monitoring from the A/V jack by way of a menu setting.)

If the audio from the headphone has a loud buzz in the left channel, then you are hearing the VIDEO coming thru the "tip" of the headphone plug.
If that's the case, you will need to utilize the A/V CABLE connected to the camcorder's A/V jack... and connect the headphones to the Red and White RCA leads via an adapter (to allow the RCA's to "feed into" a jack that the headphones will fit.)

A sensitive set of headphones will give you louder audio.
If the level is too low, you may need to use a headphone amplifier to boost the audio level,
Google "Boostaroo" for more info on that.

I'm too polite to ask you why you bought TEN cameras without fully checking ONE before the purchase, ;-)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Feb 2, 2007 at 7:55:17 am

[Thax] "I'm too polite to ask you why you bought TEN cameras without fully checking ONE before the purchase, ;-)"

I was wondering about that myself.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

almarrob
on Feb 2, 2007 at 11:25:00 am

....but not too polite to ask? ;-)

Please see my reply for lame answer.

Return to posts index

almarrob
on Feb 2, 2007 at 11:22:53 am

Thanks for your help.

We will try the headphones through the A/V cable but I do not hold much hope for it since it is a line signal. We were able to boost the output of this jack using a personal monitoring device but it is one more thing for the students to have to learn and remember.

This is the first Canon we have owned (of many different models) that does not have a menu switchable A/V jack to headphones. Apparently Canon has decided this is no longer important. They are WRONG.

We bought them from our usual reputable dealer because they were the ONLY inexpensive model available with an external microphone jack (apparently those are not important anymore either). We assumed (don't say it) that they had switchable A/V jacks. In fact, until I actually went to teach them I did not realize it.

Again thanks for your reply. Another opinion is always helpful.

Return to posts index

almarrob
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:14:43 pm

Thanks to your help we were able to design an adapter which allows us to use headphones with the camera. We are we are using the three pin connector, cutting off the video cable and splicing a headphone connector to the remaining two wires. Works great.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]