FORUMS: list search recent posts

ingesting 24p SD footage from XL H1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Main Frame Video
ingesting 24p SD footage from XL H1
on Jan 9, 2007 at 1:58:15 am

Hello, in preparation for an upcoming shoot for a broadcast client, who usually uses the Panasonic DVX100, I'm trying to figure out if there will be any issues with the footage shot with the XL H1, as far as ingesting into their edit systems. The client is requesting 24p standard definition.

A few concerns: does it matter what playback deck is used? The tapes will not be played back from a XL H1 in any case. Is any mini-DV deck capable of playback of footage from an XL H1?

Is the edit system a consideration? This client likely has both Final Cut and Avid systems.

Any advice/experience will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: ingesting 24p SD footage from XL H1
on Jan 18, 2007 at 1:04:26 am

>>>>>>>>does it matter what playback deck is used? The tapes will not be played back from a XL H1 in any case. Is any mini-DV deck capable of playback of footage from an XL H1?
- I shot some 24P Standard Def DV with an XL H1 (set to 2:3:3:2 Mode) and it played back perfectly as 24P DV in an XL2. As far as I know, any standard NTSC DV camcorder will play back properly, as long as you set your NLE Capture Preferences to the correct settings... I shot 24P Standard Def 2:3:3:2 footage with the XL H1 and then played back from both the XL H1 and the XL2 and ingested into Final Cut Pro v5.1.2 successfully yielding 23.98 material using the "DV NTSC 48 kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal" Capture setting. Alternatively, you can also ingest as standard "DV NTSC 48 kHz", highlight the ingested clip and then select "Remove Advanced Pulldown" from the "Tools" menu within Final Cut Pro to yield a 23.98 clip.

>>>>>>>>Is the edit system a consideration? This client likely has both Final Cut and Avid systems.
- YES, the edit system used is a consideration... The NLE used must natively support 24P ingest, editing and output. Most professional NLE software packages do... Final Cut Pro version 4 and above is fine. The latest versions of AVID support 24P as well - you'll have to double check with AVID if you are using an older version.

>>>>>>>>Any advice/experience will be appreciated.
- Please let us know if you have any other questions or comments. Do keep in touch, ok?

Best regards,

- don
http://www.noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]