FORUMS: list search recent posts

CANON XLH1 HDV and HD output and storage...

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SeaMusic
CANON XLH1 HDV and HD output and storage...
on Jan 1, 2007 at 6:11:24 pm

Canon claims that you can send uncompressed true HD not HDV output ...
From their literature: HD/SD SDI: The Serial Digital Interface (SDI) terminal (JackPack) of the XL H1 is able to deliver full resolution uncompressed HD/SD SDI at a 4:2:2 color space. If you use a firestore device to collect this via firewire is it really HD or just 1080i HDV? Is their a storage device you can attach to the SDI terminal to store the uncompressed HD data instead of a firewire device?

Is it really HD and not HDV?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: CANON XLH1 HDV and HD output and storage...
on Jan 1, 2007 at 9:28:42 pm

[SeaMusic] "Is it really HD and not HDV"

It's real HD.

[SeaMusic] "Is their a storage device you can attach to the SDI terminal to store the uncompressed HD data instead of a firewire device"

Yep. you'll need an HD deck (Read: not cheap) I don't think Focus Enhancements makes a device that's fast enough to capture uncompressed HD. I think the highest rate HD codec you can use with their Firestore drives is DVCPro HD, and it's still firewire. Also remember that on the H1 you can't capture the audio through the HD SDI port. You'll need a separate device to capture the audio, or again, use an HD deck to capture both at the same time.

- Don

Return to posts index

SeaMusic
on Jan 2, 2007 at 4:41:45 am

My workflow includes a Kona 3 so that handles the HD-SDI and Audio components and a RAID array that sustains 350mb/sec.. The big issue for me and perhaps others is that the quality of HDV is not acceptable when shooting fast moving objects...too much drop off. Is there a reasonably priced HD camera out there that can send the HD to Hard Drive or some other digital media. Is DVCPRO HD that the XL H1 also supports a better solution over HDV?

Return to posts index

stdecam
on Jan 2, 2007 at 1:21:21 pm

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in here...
We use the H1...and have shot with it...using the uncompressed HD-SDI output to a DVCPro HD deck. Correct..you have to run the following cables...
HD-SDI
Timecode (if you want to have matching TC with a HDV "backup recording)
Audio cables if you are just recording nats from the shotgun.

Footage looks phenominal...of course...it's 100 megabits.

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) was that the firestore DOES NOT record uncompressed HD...
What gets' pumped out the firewire port is HDV signal. Period.

It would be cool if uncompressed would come out of there...and if there was a "external box" that could record that quality of video.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 3, 2007 at 2:55:32 am

[SeaMusic] "Is there a reasonably priced HD camera out there that can send the HD to Hard Drive or some other digital media."

That would be the Panasonic HVX200. It records full 1080P using Panasonic's own DVCPro HD codec directly to a portable Firestore firewire hard drive. The 100GByte Firestore FS-100 model will hold 1.5 hours of DVCPro HD and was made for the HVX200. Remember that Panasonic does not use the HDV codec at all, and the DVCPro codecs are some of the best ones out there.

If you're shooting HDV the Canon's version will be better than Sony's because of the 9 frame GOP as opposed to the 15 frame GOP of the Sony's.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on Jan 4, 2007 at 2:18:43 pm

Don,
I think you are inccorrect about the Canon GOP Vs the Sony. They are the same 15 GOP in 60i. In 24 F and 30 F Canon chose to record only the frames they needed but they are still using a 15 frame GOP as far as I know. JVC uses two different GOPs for their versions of HDV. I think one is a 6 GOP for 24P/30P and the new 60P is a 12 GOP. Canon's implementation of 24F/30F in HDV was superior to Sony's original Cinemode but may be similar in motion to Sony's newest camcorder which has 24P. Canon's pictures may still be better than Sony 's but I haven't had time to test them.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]