FORUMS: list search recent posts

using FCP..5.2 to capture 24f

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stdecam
using FCP..5.2 to capture 24f
on Dec 29, 2006 at 3:09:01 am

so we have the latest version of FCP studio...and it's updates. I still don't see a 1080 24f sequence. How do you bring in HDV footage shot at 24 f ?

Also...is it possible to control the camera via firewire....and have timecode go down the Lanc connector....to an editor ?

We have a Velocity HD edit system...right now...they have no support for 24f....is there a way to 'fool" the editor ? If I manually capture footage via HD-SDI...it buys the 24f footage. But I have no control of the camera...AND NO timecode. The Velocity HD...just begins recording at 0:00:00:00. I heard the AJA Xena did some sort of capture using the Lanc connector....

Anyone know anything about this ?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: using FCP..5.2 to capture 24f
on Jan 1, 2007 at 5:25:41 pm

>>>>>>>>so we have the latest version of FCP studio...and it's updates. I still don't see a 1080 24f sequence. How do you bring in HDV footage shot at 24 f ?

- - Assuming that you are using Final Cut Pro version 5.1.2... Open FCP, go to the "Final Cut Pro" Menu and select "Easy Setup", select "HDV - 1080p24" and FCP will set up everything for you. Next, go to the "Audio/Video Settings" and review the settings for the following:
Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080p24
Capture Preset: HDV
Device Control Preset: HDV FireWire Basic NDF
Video Playback: (select depending upon what you have for a playback monitor system)
Audio Playback: (select depending upon what you have for an audio monitoring system)

Next, go to the "File" menu, select "New" and then select "Sequence"... FCP will create a new sequnce based upon what the Audio/ Video Settings were most recently set to... The new sequence will be highlighted in the browser window - give the new sequence a name, double-click on it to open it and you are good to go.

I am assuming that you are using an XL H1 with your Velocity HD system... The XL H1 does not embed Time Code in the HD-SDI output. Question for you: Can Velocity HD handle time code embedded in an incoming HD-SDI signal or RS-422 deck control? If so, you may want to consider adding a Convergent Design HD-Connect SI box to your Velocity setup. This box will convert the HDV FireWire signal from any HDV camcorder into an HD-SDI signal with embedded audio and time code. Deck control is provided via RS-422.
http://www.convergent-design.com/CD_Products_HDConnectSI.htm

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

stdecam
Re: using FCP..5.2 to capture 24f
on Jan 2, 2007 at 1:12:52 pm

Don,

Thanks for the help with FCP and 24 F....as you can see...I was actually looking for a 24 "f" option. I saw the 1808p24 option...but assumed it was truly "P". We are running FCP 5.1.2. I had not actually hooking the XL-H1 to FCP...and tried a capture. I was just looking in the menus for the 1080 "F" preset !!!!!

The link to Convergent Design is much appreciated. We will buy one....Velocity HD does handle embedded audio on it's HD-SDI input. Obviously the problem was controlling the deck. This box seems to handle that...and would be GREAT...since the VHD is our primary editing suite. And since Canon will NEVER create a deck to play 24f...this will be the best way to ingest that type of footage.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]