FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1/GL1 Audio Help

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matoner
XL1/GL1 Audio Help
on Dec 27, 2006 at 9:48:21 pm

Can anyone help me. I am currently involved inb shooting live jazz and heavy metal performances. I want to be able to capture the audio off the house mixing board and also capture room ambiance. I have an XL1 and a GL1 and would like to get some new mics etc. My issues in the past with my GL1 is that the stock microphone does not capture low end sounds well. All the bass in the music clips and it dominates a lot of the music. Also, I have recorded the House Mixer audio to a minidisc player and I get problems when it comes to synching the audio up in Final Cut Pro. I would like to see if a wireless set up is the way to go and what mics would you recommend for this application. I am looking into getting a beachtek xlr adaptor for the GL1 to help control my volume issues from the stock mic. I also am looking to buy an adaptor for xlr for my XL1. Any ideas???Thanks.

Matoner

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: XL1/GL1 Audio Help
by
on Dec 28, 2006 at 2:32:12 pm

You are wading in some pretty deep water, here.

Many shooters of musical performances (especially Pop and Jazz) bring along another crew-member just to monitor, adjust and record the audio.

There are so many variables in each venue, with each band, with how and where you set up or move around, radio frequency interference and cut-out problems using wireless, poor mix from the house PA (just to name a few)... that its going to be a stong probability that you, alone on a shoot, will just not be able to do a decent job on the audio AND the video.

I suggest that you might want to find a local audio pro to give you (at LEAST) some hands-on help and advice on a shoot or two before you start spending $$ on more gear.

BTW, the minidisc "dual-system" recording is generally much more reliable than using "wireless" audio to the camera.

Return to posts index

matoner
on Dec 28, 2006 at 7:03:05 pm

Ok.. Thanks for the info... It looks like that might be the case. the minidisc is good but I cannot get the audio/video to synch..
I was also told that I could use a DAT with timecode ... to get them to synch.. ..arrrghhhh

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Dec 28, 2006 at 11:54:54 pm

There is nothing wrong with using miniDisc.
A DAT machine, with or without timecode, will gain you nothing for "sync" problems.

A miniDisc is "dead-on" accurate for timing/syncing purposes (just like a DAT, CD, or your camcorders).
Each are locked to a very accurate internal digital "clock" which will not "drift" as analog tapes used to do.

If you are having trouble with sync, there are steps you can take to record "MARKS" on all recording devices that will be common sync-points to match during the edit (that's what a film "slate/clap-board" is all about.)

Again, you need to find a local audio pro (with video experience) to help you with your shoots.
There are lots of "tricks" that you can learn from a pro.

Return to posts index

matoner
on Dec 28, 2006 at 11:58:54 pm

Ok.. Thanks for the advice.. have a great new Years.. Matthew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]