FORUMS: list search recent posts

XM2/GL2 -vs- XL2?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Ingram
XM2/GL2 -vs- XL2?
on Dec 1, 2006 at 10:25:42 am

I just got some help here re:Greenscreen:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=59&postid=8...

Would a Canon XM2/GL2 do just as well for me for this kind of thing (that is Greenscreen)?

a) I'm fairly much an amateur when it comes to cameras so "point-and-shoot" isn't something i'd sniff at....there's a lot of buttons on that thar XL2
b) Do I really need progressive scan if i'm not considering transferring to film?
c) The XM2/GL2 looks quite discreet- I'll be going out and about with it and don't want to look like a one-man film unit ;-)
d) Is the Microphone really so bad for interviews and the like and is the motor noise really a problem on the sound?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: XM2/GL2 -vs- XL2?
on Dec 3, 2006 at 5:27:22 am

[Matthew Ingram] "Do I really need progressive scan if i'm not considering transferring to film?"

No, but it's easier to do good green screen work if you don't have interlaced fields to contend with.

[Matthew Ingram] "Is the Microphone really so bad for interviews and the like and is the motor noise really a problem on the sound?"

The mic is actually pretty good when you consider the GL2's price point, but any on-camera mic is not the best thing to use for getting quality interview audio, unless the camera is less that 3 feet or so from the talent.

There's definitely motor noise present when you use the GL2's stock mic and it's more noticable during lulls in the conversation. There's nothing you can do to change this fact but you can go aftermarket and get a good mic that fits on the hot shoe, along with a mic isolator that virtually eliminates motor noise.

As far as answering your overall question about whether you should get a GL2 or an XL2, it boils down to what you're going to use the camera for. If you don't need to shoot in low light, or need to shoot progressive or in widescreen format then by all means get the GL2. The GL2 has a great 4:3 interlaced picture and will serve you well in most situations.

But don't let all those buttons on the XL2 scare you off. It's drop-dead easy to shoot with and If I can learn how to operate an XL2, anyone can.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
on Dec 4, 2006 at 8:15:55 am

thanks for this don.

after your feedback and a great deal of other research i did end up plumping for a camera with progressive scan and one which was more sensitive to low-light but went with the panaDVX100b.

i was very much up for the canon GL2/XL2 but I got a good deal on the DVX which being a slightly smaller camera suited me.

thanks for your feedback, hope going with the other brand hasnt made me seem ungrateful!!!

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 4, 2006 at 10:31:10 am

[Matthew Ingram] "thanks for your feedback, hope going with the other brand hasnt made me seem ungrateful!!!"

Not at all. The Panny DVX100B is a great camera. You'll have fun with it.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]