FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL2 - Sony PD170 - FCP - Compatibility

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eleventwelve
Canon XL2 - Sony PD170 - FCP - Compatibility
on Nov 28, 2006 at 9:18:05 pm

I have some concerns and need advice regarding any issues of compatibility between FCP, Sony PD170 Camera, and Canon XL2 Camera.

Briefly, the set-up is as follows;

- I am editing a project I shot on a Sony PD170 in DVCam mode. 4:3 aspect ratio.

- I also use the PD170 as a feeder deck for firewire capture in FCP.

- I am arranging for supplementary footage to be shot by another videographer. She owns, and would like to use, a Canon XL2 Camcorder for the shoot.

The question is.....what instruction can I give the videographer for camera settings on the XL2 that will ensure the DV footage she delivers will; A) be compatible with the rest of the edit in terms of format in my existing FCP project (described above) and B) will playback for capture from the PD170 that I am feeding with.

The Canon XL2 has variable frame rate settings as well as both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio. It can shoot at 24p, 30p, or 60i. I have not determined whether or not it can shoot in DVCam mode. I am assuming that if she sets her camera to shoot at 60i and 4:3 that her DV tapes should work for me. Am I wrong here? I need some solid advice before she shoots.

Thanks everyone.

- G5 dual 2.5
- OS X - 10.3.5
- 2.5 GB Ram
- QuickTime Player 6.5.1
- Final Cut Pro HD 4.5

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Canon XL2 - Sony PD170 - FCP - Compatibility
on Nov 28, 2006 at 9:45:29 pm

[eleventwelve] " I am assuming that if she sets her camera to shoot at 60i and 4:3 that her DV tapes should work for me. Am I wrong here? I need some solid advice before she shoots."

I combine footage from my PD170, GL2 and XL2 all the time. You got it right. Tell her 60i in 4:3 with her XL2. There is no setting on the XL2 for recording in DV Cam mode.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]