FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pulling a key off a Canon XL2?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Ingram
Pulling a key off a Canon XL2?
on Nov 27, 2006 at 6:02:41 pm

Is this feasible? I don't need it to be Motion Picture quality, just sort of Cable TV channel quality?

I've done quite alot of keying in the past, but never off of DV stock.

I did a little test with a very crappy consumer-quality Pana DV Cam I have and it didnt look very promising, very blocky compression showed up quite quickly.

With good lighting and a better camera (not ready to go HDV yet...unless someone advises to the contrary) would this be possible?

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: Pulling a key off a Canon XL2?
on Nov 28, 2006 at 2:54:27 am

Please tell us what you software you are using for editing.
(Final Cut Pro? AVID?? Premiere??? Or something else???)

- don
http://www.noisybrain.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
on Nov 28, 2006 at 7:30:31 am

i use shake and/or after effects. i'm quite used to the post-production side of things (5 years+) just not using cameras.

apparently dvmattepro would help?!?

would i get a substantially better image to work with if i used something like a canon xl2 over a panasonic nvds8 (cheap consumer dv cam i have kicking around) do the 3ccds and the pseudo-progressive scan really make a difference when it comes to keying?

thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:38:24 pm

[Matthew Ingram] "do the 3ccds and the pseudo-progressive scan really make a difference when it comes to keying?"

The XL2 has true progressive scan CCDs, not 'pseudo' progressive scan. You must be thinking of the XL1 and XL1S series. And yes, using a 3 chip camera over a single chip would make a substantial difference to your keying. It's actually more of a challenge to do an HDV key because of the reduced 4:2:0 colour space and MPEG2 compression, although the result can be as good as or better than the DV25 NTSC variety if you know what you're doing.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:43:52 pm

Brilliant! thanks for the information Don.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]