FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solid State Recorder for Canon XLH1?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Tucker
Solid State Recorder for Canon XLH1?
on Nov 10, 2006 at 2:38:43 am

Does anyone know of a solid state recorder that will work with the XLH1? And not cost as much as a XLH1 (;->)

I have a need to shoot some air to air from a helicopter and need somthing more rubust and reliable than the current crop of external hard disk type recorders.

Thanks

Copter Doc
The spin starts here (;->)

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: Solid State Recorder for Canon XLH1?
on Nov 11, 2006 at 8:57:55 am

It's simply hard to beat a FireStore FS-C HD or FireStore FS4Pro HD with the version 2.0 Firmware upgrade.

http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=171

I use a FireStore FS-4Pro HD so I am speaking from experience.

- don
http://www.noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Frank Tucker
Re: Solid State Recorder for Canon XLH1?
on Nov 13, 2006 at 5:46:43 pm

Hi Don,

I haver a Firestore FS4ProHD and it is not robust enough for some of the situations I shoot in. You can see a discussion of this in the Firestore forum with regards to shooting from helicopters. I like my Forestore very much but the fact that it records to hard disk is a limitation in some environments so I have a need to explore the solid state recorder option.

---------- From Firestore forum ...
I just finished reviewing the tape from my XLH1 and the skips are not evident. The gust vertical motion is recorded at the point that the skipped frames occurs in the Firestor recorded files. This tells me that the issue is not EMI related (electrical transsmision - at least in my helicopter, MD Explorer) or vibration related but due to turbulence when the G loading was evident in gusty conditions. If the skipping was vibration related, such as a two per rev or five per rev (based on blade configuration of the helicopter, or a lateral rotor imbalance, I suspect that none of the files recorded on the Firestore would be usable. This is definately the disk drive heads being misaligned by the vertical G forces in the wind gusts. I don't know if this would be different if the drive were mounted more in a level plane rather than vertical. Depending on the drive design, the heads might crash into the disk in a horizontal plane mounting configuration.

The tape is more robust in these conditions as I would have guessed. The best solution will be to record directly to solid state memory (e.g. the P2 Cards, etc.). I have not yet found a solid state recorder that will work with the XLH1 but am very interested in finding one. Any help would be apreciated.

After this experience I would rule out the Firestore for any extreme type shooting environment that is not shot from a tripod or a steady cam type device or hand held at more than a walk. It might work better in a good gyro stabilized mount but even if the mount keeps the camera pointed at the subject, the drive can still experience G loading. The drive is just not up to the shocks of these environments in my short experience. The drive might be improved by adding some sort of solid state memory buffer that would work in conjunction with a drive that could rapidly recover from shocks and write from this buffer (ala, the Sony shock buffer used on thier CD Walkman disk players). Otherwise the chance of messing up a good shot is high.

Maybe some day we will have someone build a recorder that will mount on other camera and utilize the P2 type cards (;->)

Copter Doc
The spin starts here (;->)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]