FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Deck

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcelo Lewin
DV Deck
on Oct 31, 2006 at 1:41:36 pm

Hi everyone,
We have a Canon XL2 which I shoot corporate videos. I use the camera for capturing the footage after shooting. I'm afraid I'm wasting the mechanism on the camera for the capture, so I've convinced my work to allow me to purchase a deck to capture. Do any of you recommend any specific deck for capturing? I'm on a PC. Also, It can't cost too much (I'm hoping there are models under $1500).

Any recommendations would certainly help.

Thanks!
- Marcelo Lewin

Marcelo Lewin
marcelo@thedailyfarce.com
http://www.thedailyfarce.com/

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: DV Deck
on Oct 31, 2006 at 5:47:36 pm

You'd be hard pressed to find a DV deck for the price you're prepared to pay. However, any inexpensive MiniDV camcorder will do. All it needs is a firewire port and the ability to connect it to a wall outlet (so you don't have to use the camcorder battery). I use an inexpensive Sony DCR-HC30 as a deck all the time and it plays tapes from my XL2 just fine. Remember, there is no quality loss when transferring footage from tape to computer using this method.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Marcelo Lewin
on Nov 1, 2006 at 5:10:27 pm

That's a great idea, however, my only question is this. If I purchase a cheap DV camera (to use as you suggested for capturing only), will it be able to play back my tapes that I recorded on the XL 2 in 24P/16:9 mode. Or 60i? That's my only issue. Or does it not matter to a DV camera? It will play anything

Marcelo Lewin

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 1, 2006 at 11:56:52 pm

You can use any DV camera to capture your 24p footage. Read the article at the link below:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/24p_in_FCP_nattress.html

About half way through the article look for the heading "Capturing 24p with the DVX100." This will explain why you can capture 24p without using a 24p capable camera like the XL2. Just insert the name "XL2" where it says "DVX100." It's all the same.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

pvanwest
on Nov 2, 2006 at 4:22:22 am

You should be able to find a Sony DSR-11 for about $1600. They're real workhorses and you can play AND record DV AND DVCAM regular cassette AND mini-dv's in PAL AND NTSC.

What else could you ask?

pvw

Phil Van West
Terra Nova Productions
Denver, CO
Video Production/Post-Production

G5 DP 2.5GHz / 4.5 GB RAM / OS 10.4.8 / FCP 5.1.2 / QT 7.1.3

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 2, 2006 at 5:19:31 am

[pvanwest] "What else could you ask?"

Well for one thing: that the Sony DSR-11 would play back tapes without issue that were originally recorded using Canon cameras. I'm not speaking from experience mind you, just from what I've read and from people in my geographical area. Sometimes there are audio issues and sometimes the video won't capture properly, but mostly it's sync issues.

If you use a DSR-11 for playing back Canon recorded tapes and have had no issues I'd be delighted to hear about it, because I'd be the next one in line at Sony to buy one.

- Don

Return to posts index

Marcelo Lewin
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:10:58 pm

Thank you all for your input. I will look at the Sony DSR11
Cheers!

Marcelo Lewin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved