XL!s, MA-100, Achieving the best audio?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd
XL!s, MA-100, Achieving the best audio?
by
on Oct 20, 2006 at 3:56:36 am

Hey guys,

I have been trying to get good audio off my XL using the MA-100. I've been happy so far, but a client had a prob with something I shot and I need advice. I did an interview with a couple, one cam, boomed my mic. The problem was, they live in an empty house in New Orleans...go figure, still no furnature. Any how, I got too much of a hollow sound from the emptiness. I dont have a lapel and want to get a good one, but here in New Orleans we dont have that luxury. Is there any better technique? I want the empty house showing that after a year its still a major struggle here. Also, if anyone knows an online good deal for a wireless mic, let me know!

Thanks,

Todd

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: XL!s, MA-100, Achieving the best audio?
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:00:02 pm

In a situation where you are recording in a big chamber with lots of reverb - use lavalier mics with CARDIOID heads, not omni-directional heads. By using a cardioid lav mic, you'll pick up just the sound of the person's voice and much less room tone than an omni lav will.

For rock bottom pricing in a lav system while still maintaining some measure of performance, the Azden systems have received favorable reviews. I wouldn't use anything less than an Azden... You'd most likely get noticeably better reception from an Audio Technica system. I personally own a couple of the Sennhesier EW-series lav mics and have had great success with them. I also often times use Lectrosonics, which I always am happy with.

Keep in touch,

- don
http://www.bosfcpug.org

Return to posts index

Todd
Re: XL!s, MA-100, Achieving the best audio?
by
on Oct 24, 2006 at 11:56:40 pm

Thanks Don, I've rented an Audio Techna for some gigs and it worked great. Its hard here in New Orleans to find anywhere to just get a mic, I really have to do my shopping online.

I will be looking around! Take care!

Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]