FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Canon GL-2 record true widescreen 16x9

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John
Does Canon GL-2 record true widescreen 16x9
by
on Sep 22, 2006 at 4:51:54 pm

I have a Sony DSR-PDX10 camcorder and am thinking of buying a Canon GL-2. One of the features I really like about the PDX10 is that it records true widescreen. That is, when you put the camera in widescreen mode, the picture gets wider; all the pixels are used for the final image (i.e. no black bars top and bottom); and no weird stretch or squeeze occurs on the LCD.

I am wondering if the Canon 16x9 'squeeze' mode is the same as what Sony offers on the PDX10? In other words, does this camera have a true 16x9 imager? Or is it doing some wierd scaling that is going to degrade the image?

thanks. John

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Does Canon GL-2 record true widescreen 16x9
on Sep 22, 2006 at 5:07:57 pm

[John] "In other words, does this camera have a true 16x9 imager?"

No it doesn't. It uses electronic squeeze to generate a widescreen picture. It does, however, have a lot of pixels on its 3 1/4" chips, so the squeezed image isn't as bad as you might think. The Canon's squeeze mode is a heck of a lot better than the Sony PD170, and the Sony has 1/3" CCD's.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]