FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL1 vs ZR45

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin c.
GL1 vs ZR45
on Aug 30, 2006 at 11:18:56 pm

I Got the new GL1 a few years ago, and am finally ready to get rolling with some short films. I since also got the ZR45. I know that GL1 is three chip with much more manual features. Honestly though I just did a few test with some actors and don't see much difference in video or sound quality. Am I missing something? thanks.

Return to posts index

HatkowProductions
Re: GL1 vs ZR45
on Sep 2, 2006 at 7:46:44 pm

hey kevin, I have the GL2 which I know is a little better than the GL1 but bear with me here. I use a ZR80 as a back-up/secondary camera when I do shoots. While the ZR gets really nice footage in optimal lighting conditions, it really breaks down in almost any other setting, cutting from the GL to the ZR will often make me whince in pain! The ZR just doesnt have the color depth and and lower light talent.(although you should ALWAYS try to light as best as you can for your shot) Also, the GL can be manually adjusted to a very high degree.(don't have the " I'll fix it in post" attitude) If your footage is not that great in the first place all a filter in FCP will do is filter bad footage,right? Easy manual focus is a huge plus and completely needed for your short film work. I think your GL1 has Optical Image Stability too right? That is a much better setup than the ZR. Plus you may notice that when all the way zoomed out, the ZR has less picture ,or it does not zoom out as far as the GL, which can cause depth and estabishing shot problems. The GL zooms out nicely and when zoomed in with manual focus , you can get some incredible DOF shots easily.There are other reasons I would still use the GL but I don't want to drone on and on! Let me know what you do or if you have any specific questions or concerns. I think once you start editing your footage you will be happy with the GL most.
Good luck, making a short is a lot of work!
Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]