FORUMS: list search recent posts

time code options

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clancy111
time code options
on Aug 19, 2006 at 2:10:17 am

Hi and thanks in advance.
I need a camera like the Panasonic AG DVC30 that can display the timecode (date and time) without an annoying CARC Recognition blinking like on the XL1S and the like.
I tape for 8 hours at a time and can't afford to use DV tapes or play them back at a later time to get the time code. I need to capture strait to a laptop (Fire-wire) to capture Mpeg1 (yes so I will need PC) and can't use a timecode generator for it has an RCA input to the computer and Bridges don't seem to be stable enough.
If the camera was a bit bigger then the DVC30 that would be nice, it does not have to look great but maybe bit more professional looking would be nice. Or a real good camera and I could use it for weddings and the l ike.
I have many Mac's but having to capture MPEG 1 (and no time to render and export from FCP and the like to MPEG 1) I will need to go this route.
Please help if you can David

Return to posts index

Donald Berube
Re: time code options
on Aug 21, 2006 at 9:51:22 pm

>>>>>>I need a camera like the Panasonic AG DVC30 that can display the timecode (date and time) without an annoying CARC Recognition blinking like on the XL1S and the like.

-- OK, I'm gonna take the bullet on this one and ask the inevitable question which I think many who read your question are wondering: "what do you mean by *CARC Recognition*???"

>>>>>>I need to capture strait to a laptop (Fire-wire) to capture Mpeg1 (yes so I will need PC) and can't use a timecode generator for it has an RCA input to the computer and Bridges don't seem to be stable enough.

-- Huh? Are you saying that you own a timecode generator BUT it only has RCA outs -or_ are you saying something else here???? Please clarify... ALSO, you state "Bridges don't seem to be stable enough"... are you referring to the various bi-directional DV bridges (media converters) available from companies such as DataVideo, Canopus, etc? Again, please clarify...

If you are trying to ingest live DV from your camcorder via firewire into your PC and capture as MPEG1 - that's easy enough to do - as long as you have the NLE software and a decent drive (I'd recommend a 7200rpm - no slower than 5400rpm) with enough free space to allow you to record for the duration you need.

Please clarify what your issue is so that one of us can offer a solution.

Thank you for contributing to this forum and do write back,

- don
http://noisybrain.com
http://www.bosfcpug.org
http://fcpugnetwork.org

Return to posts index

clancy111
on Aug 22, 2006 at 1:49:43 am

Thanks for trying Don, and here goes again

Sorry I meant to say: the red colored words "Char. Rec." flash in the view finder when the camera's like the (XL1s or Gl2 and) is not in record mode and the display for the date and time is on. If one captures to a computer, DVD, etc., with this happening it will record the flashing Char. Rec.
The Panasonic AG DVC can display the date and time without the flashing message.
I do not want to record to a Mini DV tape to get rid of the flashing message, my need is to keep this cheap and I capture for hours at a time so to use a tape is a waste.
Id rather capture to a laptop (via firewire) for all this is portable as well and has to fit in a small box.
I have used an RCA out time and date generator but that will not make it into the laptop without a bi-directional DV bridge (media converter). The ones I have tried are Dazzle and the like and don't seem to hold up well and it's not worth getting a nice bridge (that may be stable) when I could put that money toward another camera (without the Char. Rec. issues) and have more use for it.

Yes, it is easy to capture Mpeg1 to a laptop, but first I have to get the date and time to show with the needs listed above.
My main question was: Does anyone know of a camera like the Panasonic AG DVC that can display the date and time without the flashing message when a tape is not inserted and the camera is not recording?
I use a G5, FCP5, Motion and the like, but this setup has to be small and cheapish and be on a PC. I hope you understand.

Thanks for your time David

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Aug 22, 2006 at 11:00:47 am

Well, if you've got what you need except the Dazzle is an unreliable piece of junk... DON'T USE A DAZZLE... its generally considered an unreliable piece of JUNK!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]