FORUMS: list search recent posts

out! out! ya dadgummed spot!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael B demille
out! out! ya dadgummed spot!
on Aug 2, 2006 at 2:46:56 pm

Probably one of the dumbest posts you'll come across but... I'm a professional photographer getting into video coverage. We're using a Canon GL2 and no matter how many times or how "well" I clean the lens (and I've been doing this since 1980 from Large Format to Medium to 35mm to digital so I know how to clean a lens) I keep getting these "spots" in the image when I shoot against a light background (cake, dress, sky...) I clean the lens, the spots change location! Sometimes they go away for a wedding (or more likely we just aren't shooting where they'll show)but then, like poltergists, they're back. Do these lens come off this camera? (Maybe it's something that is one the rear element?) Any suggestions besides seek therapy?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: out! out! ya dadgummed spot!
on Aug 2, 2006 at 9:05:29 pm

[michael B demille] "Any suggestions besides seek therapy?"

Is the GL2 used? New? If used there's probably dust/particles somewhere between the front of the lens and the CCD block. Get it to a repair facility and have it looked at. What you're seeing is probably not the norm. If the camera is new then at least the warranty should cover the cleaning cost. Whenever I shoot with light from windows etc. in the frame, I'll get lens flare but no spots like you're experiencing. The lens won't come off without tools, meaning someone had to assemble the camera so it does come apart. But if you're unfamiliar with how it goes together (like me) let the pros do this task. My .02

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Aug 2, 2006 at 10:27:48 pm

I use a microfiber cloth to clean my lenses, and then always use a UV filter on the lens to protect the front element.

Return to posts index

michael b demille
on Aug 2, 2006 at 11:38:48 pm

thanks, the unit is new and a newborn babe would not receive any greater care so I'm thinking the rear element or maybe as you suggest ...the CCD block.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]