FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL2 garbage frames between shots that register as TC errors in FCP

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
genevieve
GL2 garbage frames between shots that register as TC errors in FCP
on Jul 18, 2006 at 1:20:46 am

There is no time code break, but there are occasionally frames that are garbled bits of noise and picture (or black and picture if the tape was blacked). This makes "capture now" annoying (but not impossible).

Most current theory is that a record setting has been inadvertantly changed so that the GL2 no longer rolls back to the last full frame recorded. (was told that some older prosumer Sony's have this option) Is there such a setting on the GL2? I can't seem to find it, but that may be because I don't know what it's called.

Yesterday I actually took the camera off lock and found no time code. I pressed the "record review" button and got back to the last frame, which may solve the overall problem, but would be annoying if I had to do it between every shot.

It has been serviced and cleaned and I was told they could find nothing wrong with the tape transport or backtension or anything that could explain it. It's still happening so... thanks for any input.

Side note - Sometimes it wants to eject tapes a few times before it's happy... seems to happen more when it's hot. out. (could heat cause more head clogs too?)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: GL2 garbage frames between shots that register as TC errors in FCP
on Jul 18, 2006 at 4:16:03 pm

[genevieve] "Side note - Sometimes it wants to eject tapes a few times before it's happy... seems to happen more when it's hot. out. (could heat cause more head clogs too?)
"

There's a humidity senser in the GL2 which will give you the same 'eject tape' message. Are you using the camera mostly handheld? Heat is unlikely to cause an increase in head clogs. But cheap tapes or mixing wet and dry tape lubricants will.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

genevieve
Re: GL2 garbage frames between shots that register as TC errors in FCP
on Jul 19, 2006 at 12:45:16 am

Handheld about half the time, but trying to keep that to a minimum as space and movement will allow. Used Panasonic tapes for a long time. Since the cleaning, I've gone and switch to Sony which I plan to stick with for awhile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]