FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL1s lens - "bumps". Other servo zooms to consider?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
XL1s lens - "bumps". Other servo zooms to consider?
on Jul 14, 2006 at 1:31:41 pm

We use a XL1s on which the stock lens "bumps or sticks" every so slightly during really slow zooms, or during a ramping zoom. 1] is this normal on this level of lens? or something that needs service and 2] what's a good broadcast servo zoom replacement lens? maybe a 1/2" mount lens with an adapter?

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
G5 DP 2G, 10.3.4, 3.5GB RAM, FCP 4.5, Aja IO, Huge 320R [raid3]

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
Re: XL1s lens - "bumps". Other servo zooms to consider?
on Jul 15, 2006 at 4:44:37 am

have you tried a 3rd party lanc zoom control like the zoe or bogen?

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 15, 2006 at 11:53:04 am

No, does that give better results? Of course, doesn't help me any when handheld, but I'm usually not going for an ultraslow smooth as butter zoom then.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 15, 2006 at 2:31:15 pm

Not sure if the xl1s stock lens is stepped or not. It will not eliminate any built in zoom steps in the lens mechanism -- if step 1 goes from 0 to 5 mph (as an analogy) it cannot change that. But I know on cam zoom controls are a lot harder to control than a good 3rd party zoom controller. A good one makes it very smooth and controlled. The Zo

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 16, 2006 at 6:17:35 pm

No, the problem I'm having with this XL1s is that in the middle of slow steady zooms, not trying to ramp up or down, it sometimes "bumps". Not during a speed change. Unless I'm riding right at the hairy edge of a speed change step, and that's the symptom... If I use the handle zoom set to slow it never bumps BUT that's often too slow. And cannot ramp to/from zero.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 16, 2006 at 7:32:59 pm

Not sure what you mean by "bumbs." Do you mean it switches to the next speed in the middle of a zoom? If that's the case, the zoe will solve the problem. The zoe lets you dial in a speed. Did you read Wayne's article? It explains the advantages and the limitations clearly. Not sure if you can ramp from 0 to first speed on your lens. Most of the prosumer level cams do not allow this. But the first speed is pretty slow. What I like to do is set a maximum speed on the zoe dial. Then I use the rocker to simulate a slow ramp up to that maximum speed. It's not as good as a pro level lens control but it's close.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 17, 2006 at 12:14:14 am

By "bump" I mean that it will hesitate while zooming. After the zoom has started. And any add-on handle won't really help me, as I need it to work while handheld as well.

This is one MAJOR reason I'm looking at getting a JVC DV5000/5001 - for the better Fuji lens.

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jul 17, 2006 at 11:09:30 am

The bump you describe sounds like you've got some "gunk" in that unit's lens mechanism.

Try your zoom technique on another camera with the same lens (rental?) and see if it behaves the same way before you blame it fully on the design.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]