FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up Canon XL 2 to cut in final cut and finish on film?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bigfan
Setting up Canon XL 2 to cut in final cut and finish on film?
on Jul 8, 2006 at 4:13:22 pm

I'm going to be cutting a feature that's being shot with a canon xl 2 camera. I'm cutting it in fcp and the goal is to finish on film for possible showings in festivals. The big question though is do we set up the camera at 24P standard or 24P with the advanced pulldown? If we do the advanced pulldown, will all of the dailies look stuttery until they go into fcp or will they play back fine on set? Is advanced the way to get the best picture possible or will it still look good at standard 24P? Also, if I'm going to finish by onlining my original tapes does it really matter if I go advnced or standard? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Setting up Canon XL 2 to cut in final cut and finish on film?
on Jul 9, 2006 at 1:48:25 pm

[Bigfan] "the goal is to finish on film for possible showings in festivals"

Possible showings?
Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket!
Any idea of the cost for transfer/color timing-gamma correction/film-out?
And you will need multiple copies right?
Ever thought to contact the festivals you plan to show at to see what formats they accept?
I don't want to come off sounding like a pompous ass, but it does not sound as though very much thought has been put into this "Feature".
For example, if you have the budget to do a film-out, then you have the money to rent a more professional camera to shoot the feature with.
I suggest it might be time to sit down and do a little more research/planning/budgeting before you start work on this project.
Good Luck!

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 7, 2006 at 6:07:50 pm

Well said David,

Alot of first timers throw out the film out phrase without any idea of what is really involved budget wise or technically.

Start at the end and work backwards to determine if you can really afford this "pipe dream".

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

George
on Aug 7, 2006 at 1:23:56 am

You should set the camera to 24p advanced which will give you the proper pull down for film out (2:3:3:2).
In Final Cut Pro you can set the project for 24p advanced and that way the camera and time lines are in sync.
You will not see and stutter in the video.

Read the FCP doc or help menu on how exactly to setup the 24 PA presets.

If you are planning on a fim out. then make sure you spend time with the film house DuArt in NY is good.
Explain the project. they can do short film out tests to make sure everything works before you send the whole thing to them.

Also cost is an issue. you are looking at 5 figures to get a feature length film out.

- Regards,
George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]