FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optical Image Stabilizor - Canon GL2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DerekKent
Optical Image Stabilizor - Canon GL2
on Jun 30, 2006 at 4:10:17 am

Hi there
I am a bit OCD, and paranoid, so, this is basically just to make sure...

but, I know the image stabilization in the GL2 is mechanical (diaphragm, not digital)
keeping that in mind, and aside from any creative implications etc, is it not a good idea to use it?
that is to say simply, am I losing anything, fidelity, resolution, by using it?

thanks

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Optical Image Stabilizor - Canon GL2
on Jul 1, 2006 at 3:34:34 am

Optical (mechanical) stabilization does not degrade the image the way electronic (digital) stabilization does.

With the optical system, whether or not it is switched ON, the image passes through the same lens elements.

With the digital system, the electronic image is "expanded" ("blown up) for the system to be eable to manipulate the picture... it reduces the image quality slightly (some units more than others).

Return to posts index

Frank Tucker
on Jul 3, 2006 at 3:36:28 am

Having shot much video from the ground and in the air with the Canon XL1 ang GL2, I can recommend the optical stabilization as the best I've seen on any of the DV cameras. There is no degredation of the image quality and the enhanced stability lend greatly to overall quality.

One caution about using the stabilization. When shooting from a tripod (fluid head recommended) and panning or tilting, the stabilizer can cause an overshoot when you stop the motion.

The stabilizers is constantly trying steady camera motion and on the tripod shots this is revealed by the image stabilizer continuing to try and correct for the camera motion at thye end of a pan or tilt move. Just when the camera pan/tilt stops, the stabilizer makes the image seem to continue in the direction of the motion for a split second after you stop the pan/tilt. This can result in the images not being frames as you desire at the end of the pan/tilt operation. Just remember to turn the stabiliser off for tripod shots.

Copter Doc
The spin starts here (;->)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 5, 2006 at 5:39:24 am

[Frank Tucker] "I can recommend the optical stabilization as the best I've seen on any of the DV cameras."

When I bought my Sony PD170 I was quite surprised to discover that I could shake it about twice as much as my XL2 and GL2 before it started to show in the picture.

[Frank Tucker] "Just remember to turn the stabiliser off for tripod shots."

In addition, keeping OIS turned off when you don't needd it also conserves battery power.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

MEDRANO
on Oct 29, 2006 at 7:18:50 am

one of the reasons why I bought the xl2 is the Optical Image Stabilizor I am surprise about what you say about the pd170 being better. Is this just a personal opinion or have you tried both one next to each other?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]